Sex in Photography

abraxas - If you can't get laid without a camera, having one will most likely not improve anything.

In photography are their people using the equivalent/status of a "Porsche" to attract women/men. Someone was talking about Leica in another thread and costs. Abraxas thinks it mostly won't improve anything. I think every little bit helps. But as you state it's what's in your head that counts. From comments made about the young women who are looking to get into the industry they are willing to do what they have to. Maybe photographers with "Porsches" have their followers for that reason. Just maybe…

Honestly... how many people, male or female would know the difference between a P&S and a dSLR... much less the difference between an ordinary and Leika lens?

Granted a few models who have been around long enough will know what a dSLR looks like, but most cannot tell their elbows from a Canon "L" lens to a hole in the ground, nor even care much.

Using photography to get sex, I'll tell you what... if that gal or guy wanted to have sex with the photographer, the camera is not going to make ANY difference. It is bare fact that the first level of attraction is physical, not what brand camera you have... and the subject that is ready to have sex with a photographer, WAS going to have it whether they even owned a camera or not.

Now... as to the ETHICAL side of a PROFESSIONAL sleeping with their models, let me state a small fact that has been proven many times over... do it once, you may get away with it... do it a few times and you are **GUARANTEED** to not be in the business very long, thats a fact. That little rule goes just as well for women photographers as the men.

I sometimes hang with a local guy here in Montreal that does tons of fasion shows. He owns a D3 and a few high end lenses... and let me tell you that this guy could EASILY put most of the male models he shoots, out of business. At 6-foot, 190 pounds and a 32 inch waist. the gals have their own nick-name for him... Adonis... because this guy can stop a show with his looks, but he NEVER uses sex in any of his sessions. At 26 years old, he also earns a nice income as a fulltime photographer. His skill defines him, not his looks or even his equipment.

Being professional means having ethics and that means that this kind of person will easily make it farther in the business than someone thats in it for any other reason other than financial or passion of photography.

If someone needed sex to get pictures, they cannot be that good a photographer in the first place. There are many stories around the industry of these kinds of people. None very complimentary.

Last edited:
Short and white. Garbz lens? :D.​
I'm sorry, you just had me wetting myself on the floor at that!!! :lmao:

But nah, I don't think photography helps guys get laid. I suspect most people photographers meet are just baffled by the crap they have in their camera bag & try and shut it out of their minds.

But there's nothing quite like a penis joke using a zoom lens. :greenpbl:

BTW, statistically I would not guess there is more (or less) sexual intercourse in the photographer-model relation than in any other professional relation. Sex on the job overall is not that rare. However, it is know to bring usually much more complications later on.
Most people are emotionally not able to work together professionally after they had sex together.

Things get worse when exploitation is in the game. If the model uses the photographers desperate desire for intercourse to get herself a job .. or the other way round, if the photographer uses the model's desperate need to get the job to his advantage, to get sex.
Then this is really unethical, since other maybe more talented/better models might not get the job just because they do not want to sell their body.
But again, this is not limited to the photography business.

The fact that in photography people might see the model naked or semi-naked does not really play a role here. After all everyone is grown up and has seen plenty of naked skin in his/her life. Sexual seduction does not begin when you are already undressed, but way earlier ;)

Last edited:
abraxas - If you can't get laid without a camera, having one will most likely not improve anything.

In photography are their people using the equivalent/status of a "Porsche" to attract women/men. Someone was talking about Leica in another thread and costs. Abraxas thinks it mostly won't improve anything. I think every little bit helps. But as you state it's what's in your head that counts. From comments made about the young women who are looking to get into the industry they are willing to do what they have to. Maybe photographers with "Porsches" have their followers for that reason. Just maybe…

Honestly... how many people, male or female would know the difference between a P&S and a dSLR... much less the difference between an ordinary and Leika lens?

Granted a few models who have been around long enough will know what a dSLR looks like, but most cannot tell their elbows from a Canon "L" lens to a hole in the ground, nor even care much.

Using photography to get sex, I'll tell you what... if that gal or guy wanted to have sex with the photographer, the camera is not going to make ANY difference. It is bare fact that the first level of attraction is physical, not what brand camera you have... and the subject that is ready to have sex with a photographer, WAS going to have it whether they even owned a camera or not.

Now... as to the ETHICAL side of a PROFESSIONAL sleeping with their models, let me state a small fact that has been proven many times over... do it once, you may get away with it... do it a few times and you are **GUARANTEED** to not be in the business very long, thats a fact. That little rule goes just as well for women photographers as the men.

I sometimes hang with a local guy here in Montreal that does tons of fasion shows. He owns a D3 and a few high end lenses... and let me tell you that this guy could EASILY put most of the male models he shoots, out of business. At 6-foot, 190 pounds and a 32 inch waist with a six-pack set of abs that comes only from doing 800 sit-ups a day 6 days a week, the gals have their own nick-name for him... Adonis (no kidding!)... because this guy can stop a show with his looks, but he NEVER uses sex in any of his sessions.

Being professional means having ethics and that means that this kind of person will easily make it farther in the business than someone thats in it for any other reason other than financial or passion of photography. If someone needed sex to get pictures, they cannot be that good a photographer in the first place. There are many stories around the industry of these kinds of people. None very complimentary.

I think that I'm having trouble figuring out how you meant the overall direction of your thread. What is it exactly that you are looking for? :)

Last edited:
Is there a possibility of photographers sleeping with models to get the image/shot their looking for? Evoking emotions due to the sexual connection.

Maybe for the occasional glamour photographer. Other than that, I don't believe so. If the shot is sexy, it's the models job to exude that. If the photographer has to tease it out of them, I don't see why that would necessarily imply a sexual relationship between model and photographer. If there's sexual tension between the two I'd say that's the exception and not the rule. This seems particularly true when one considers that many of the most popularly accomplished studio photographers don't have much going for them in the way of looks. Of course, there's the occasional Nigel Barker. But Annie Liebowitz is an old ugly lesbian. Barry Lategan is a quaint, Sherlock Holmes-looking old British guy...the list goes on and on.

As for whether it's possible for a model and photographer to have consensual sex, I'll defer to Roy's explanation of the "love laws, that lay down who should be loved, and how, and how much." While I of course don't think it's bad business to keep your professional and personal life as separate as possible, I think it's equally important to recognize that business relationships are not real relationships in any psychosocial sense. That is, they don't have any intrinsic emotional significance. The fact that sleeping with or dating someone you have a business relationship with is taboo, doesn't make it wrong. But I suppose that's another story for another day.

Well, all jokes about size aside...

The general consensus among the models i meet is that the photographer who is trying to get laid with his models is the one not getting it. There are a lot of "creepy photographer" stories out there :)

Me, i've managed to talk girls out of their clothes but still haven't done anything but take pictures of them :D

Then.. i'm getting old at 36 =)

Late to the party as usual.

1: As to the size thing, AFAIKT it really doesn't matter as long as it zooms to at least 200mm (77mm filter size is preferred! ;)).

2. And to sex in general, If you can talk a girl out of her clothes (or guy- or both--whichever) you can most likely talk them into bed/ a couch/ or a trampoline (Do safety pin a blanket to it first!!) ((netting around it is a good idea too :))).

I like number 2... I can honestly say that is how my brain works. Does it make me perv no... But if it's plausible it's possible.

Um ... ? .... There's an Upper West Side in Mississippi :lol:

2. And to sex in general, If you can talk a girl out of her clothes (or guy- or both--whichever) you can most likely talk them into bed/ a couch/ or a trampoline (Do safety pin a blanket to it first!!) ((netting around it is a good idea too :))).

not if she did undress because it is her job as a model...

I really believe that sexuality is hard to catch in photography. Not because is a captiousness matter but is a thin line between grotesque and nude art. Good luck!

See that is where I become confused (also with fine and glamour art). I think some are gross but others that add an element of class make it not that bad... Sexuality to me is easy to have your image be sensual and intimate is hard.

I have to send all of you a link and you guys tell me if this is considered gross. Is it just opinion or does it cross the line. I'll PM it I'm not doing any free advertising.

BTW, statistically I would not guess there is more (or less) sexual intercourse in the photographer-model relation than in any other professional relation. Sex on the job overall is not that rare.

I agree

Sexual seduction does not begin when you are already undressed, but way earlier ;)

See Naughty.....

I think that I'm having trouble figuring out how you meant the overall direction of your thread. What is it exactly that you are looking for? :)
It's so broad a topic you can't pin point one thing.

Who cares about sex? It has little to do with photography except to the extent that some people think it's as taboo in photography as it is in other things. Some people only do it missionary, some people are kinky, some people think it shouldn't be talked about, some do, some people don't have sex, some people do, some people are insensitive assholes about it, and some people treat each other with respect. Photography isn't any more intimately tied to sex than illustration or painting or talking or writing. Sex is a universal constant. If you happen upon some unique connection between photography and sex I really would love to hear about. As of yet I haven't found one.

Most reactions

Back