SFX 200 film with Mamiya 645

Firebod-7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I would like to try Ilfords SFX 200 film with my Mamiya 645.
After doing a bit of reading, I thought a Hoya 72 Filter? After setting the camera up for a normal shot with 200 film without the filter, can anybody give me an Idea where to start on how far to stop down to give me a start. Once I have something on negative I think I will be able to work it out from there. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't know about the filter I'm afraid but have you tried metering through it and then metering without it? Either in camera (of course if you have a ttl meter it wont matter as the camera will take into effect the filter automatically) or with a hand held meter?

Because SFX has limited IR sensitivity compared to other IR films, I would take it easy on the filter. I prefer to use a 29 red filter rather than the dark red R72. The 29 makes it possible to meter through the lens, which is nice. The shot below was done using a #29 with SFX.

46940a816d566.jpg

You will get a more pronounced IR effect with the R72 but you need a very bright day/lots of exposure. To use the R72, you meter without it, then place the filter on the lens, adjust exposure accordingly, and then shoot. You will lose 5 stops of light with an R72.

Hi, I would like to try Ilfords SFX 200 film with my Mamiya 645.
After doing a bit of reading, I thought a Hoya 72 Filter? After setting the camera up for a normal shot with 200 film without the filter, can anybody give me an Idea where to start on how far to stop down to give me a start. Once I have something on negative I think I will be able to work it out from there. Thanks.
I've just finished a project that used 8 rolls of SFX shot through a IR720 filter (= Hoya 72) . The EI that I set on my spot meter was 6 for sunny day subjects, EI 3 for subjects in open shade, and EI 1.5 for cloudy overcast days. That's +5, +6, and +7 stops respectively compared to the nominal ISO 200 speed.

Exposures are likely to be long so watch out for reciprocity failure. When the meter indicates 1 second give 1.5 seconds, 2 sec metered give 4 sec, 5 sec metered give 12 sec, 10 sec metered give 30 sec. Beyond that I haven't tested yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back