woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You gotta looooove earthquakes! Or is that just us crazy Californians :mrgreen:

We just had a 4.1 about 20 minutes ago. Sure 4.1 is a baby around here. But...when it's only 6 miles deep, and the epicenter is the town you live in, it feels stronger than a 7.0 from 150 miles away!

It made a loud 'sonic boom' sound. I couldn't even read my monitor. And darn it...it splashed my Diet Pepsi all over the place. I pay good money for that soda :er:

AcK! My first four years in Uncle Sam’s Air Force were spent on central coast California at Vandenberg AFB. I never got use to the tremors that seemed to occur monthly… I prefer the ground under my feet to be stationary!

DepthAfield said:
...I prefer the ground under my feet to be stationary!

Oh yes. Me too!
I've only ever experienced two tiny little baby earthquakes (in my very Germany here, mind!), and I think I've had enough of them already.

I went on a machine at the natural history museum once which simulated earth quakes... It would spill a beer no problem. Therefore, earthquakes are bad.

Rob

woodsac said:
You gotta looooove earthquakes! Or is that just us crazy Californians :mrgreen:

We just had a 4.1 about 20 minutes ago. Sure 4.1 is a baby around here. But...when it's only 6 miles deep, and the epicenter is the town you live in, it feels stronger than a 7.0 from 150 miles away!

It made a loud 'sonic boom' sound. I couldn't even read my monitor. And darn it...it splashed my Diet Pepsi all over the place. I pay good money for that soda :er:
I'm glad you're all right, and nothing worse than a spilled drink happened to you! :hug::

We went through one in Georgia some years back - it is indeed the strangest feeling to experience. Even never having felt one before, I knew immediately that it couldn't be anything else. Quite strange.

Yoiks, the epicentre was where you live??!! That's a little bit close for comfort. Years ago (early 80s) there were some minor quakes that hit Toronto...it's a very odd feeling for the ground to shake beneath your feet. I'm glad the only casualty for you was the diet soda.

glad your okay woodsac... i felt one of CA's quakes a few years ago... definitely weird... i was laying on a couch and suddenly got the feeling i was out on the lake... :) car alarms started going off and the chandelier swayed a little bit. That was barely anything but still a weird feeling... and that was several hundred miles away, i can't imagine being at the epicenter...

I grew up in california and have experienced many of them.....the most thrilling one for me was when I was up in a tree!.........Wowza!!!!

I didn't feel it Woody.......could have happened when I was dancing so.........Hey when I see ya.....A diet pepsi...on me, k........

We had one here in Newcastle back in 1989, It literally brought the house down! :shock:

Had another one a few years after which wasn't as big but it was enough to shake the dust off the rafters. :lol:

I guess I'm just used to them :D
Ridgecrest is (or was a few years ago) the earthquake capitol of CA :mrgreen. We average over 150 earthquakes a year right here!

I remember 2 big ones when I was young. One started just as I was about to get into my dad's truck. He yelled at me to step back. The back wheels of his 1972 full size Ford pickup were bouncing completely off the ground. The other, when I was about 16? happened during school hours. We all got under our desks. You could see the earth rolling under the floor. It popped tiles out in all the class rooms and cracked foundations!

Most reactions

Back