Sharp at 300mm?

Patrickktown

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've spent a fair amount of time reviewing lenses with mixed results and looking for your thoughts now for a lens that's good for shooting wildlife from a distance. Bears, birds etc... These photos will be for printing and selling.

I'm using a Canon 70d.

Budget is in the $1500 range, give or take. I was looking at the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM but I hear it's not tack at 300mm.

Thanks

I never liked pics from the 70-300, but I like the 100-400 stuff (1st gen is what I used once or twice).
Then again, I'd probably try a 1.4x teleconverter on my 70-200 before buying anything longer.

It won't be, zoom lenses are never perfectly sharp at their longest end; though high end ones are good enough that the difference is negligible or so minor that after editing it has no effect.

If you want tack sharp then the 300mm f4 IS L would be your best choice. You could even get a 1.4teleconverter (MII would be enough, the MIII is mostly a small update visually and primarily has a better AF chip inside it which only works with their new MII superlenses - the VERY high priced telephoto primes)

Canon's EF 400mm f/5.6 is the best and sharpest long lens for Canon at under your price limit, plentiful on the used market.

Canon's EF 400mm f/5.6 is the best and sharpest long lens for Canon at under your price limit, plentiful on the used market.

Agree. This is the route I went. Don't know why I didn't suggest it in my previous post. Maybe the 300mm threw me off. lol

I've spent a fair amount of time reviewing lenses with mixed results and looking for your thoughts now for a lens that's good for shooting wildlife from a distance. Bears, birds etc... These photos will be for printing and selling.
I'm using a Canon 70d.
Budget is in the $1500 range, give or take. I was looking at the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM but I hear it's not tack at 300mm.
Thanks
If you are interested in the 300 F4, let me know, I'm selling mine for $775 shipped. It's in very good condition. Shoot me a message if your interested...

I'm using a Canon 70d.

Thanks
There is a beter choice for what you want to do. The EF100-400mm is a fantastic choice for wildlife, and birds. Your price range will limit you to the original version but that is still a great lens. I know several professionals who shoot this lens heavily. It is medium weight but not too heavy. It is very friendly with tubes and extenders. I've been shooting birds all winter long with it and am very impressed with it. I had a shoot this evening with a great horned owl and the results are fantastic! Shot the entire event under interior lighting. I went up to an ISO of 2000 with an aperture of 5.6 and let the light flow in. If you could squeeze another $500.00 and get version II you would like yourself very much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back