sharp pictures

I'm sorry if I missed it, but have we seen any test shots yet? Good light, static subject, forget about background blur... get that camera focusing how you want on an easy shot.

Keep at it! You're getting used to working the camera controls, showing it who's boss. You're beginning to understand the effect of the setting you make. Try not to get frustrated, and take the time to gain a real understanding.

You are right on the verge of making a couple of HUGE steps forward in your photography, and I know you'll be thrilled with the results very soon!

I really appreciate your kind words!!

No.
The size of the focus point doesn't change.
The focus point isn't that square. In your T6I it's 2 narrow slits in that square. One is horizontal, one is vertical - a cross-type focus point.
The center focus point is the most accurate focus point you have. it's more sensitive and it also ha s adiagonal slit.
Yes, put the one focus point where you want the sharpest focus.

From the T6i Specifications:
AF Points
• 19 points
• All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6.
• Center AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.

Note: AF is always done with the lens as wide open as it can go.

The depth of field (DoF) changes and the more wide open the lens is the shallower the DoF is.
DoF is affected by more than just the lens aperture. It's affected as much by the point of focus (PoF) distance and the lens focal length.
Use an online DoF. Plug in different focal length, f/stop, subject distances (PoF) to see how DoF changes as those parameters change.
Online Depth of Field Calculator

To consistently make high quality photographs you have to be pretty well informed regarding both the technical and the artistic aspects of doing photography.
Here is a good online place to start learning about the techical:
Digital Photography Tutorials

I think you just figured out my problem... I'm off to YouTube tutorials to see if i can find one to help.

You mention the cross type focal point and center focal point. My camera it must be the settings i have it in somehow... only shows one square.... no cross. Yhat square i can toggle all around up and down lwft and right. That is what i am using on the eye.... I'm thinking niw that that is not correct....

Im off to explore...

Thank you for being so understanding, patient, and taking the time to help me....

On my t5i, I press the "+" on the top right corner on the back. That gets me into focal point selection mode. Then I turn the wheel by the shutter release to highlight where I want the focal point to be. I can select individual points or all of them.

On my t5i, I press the "+" on the top right corner on the back. That gets me into focal point selection mode. Then I turn the wheel by the shutter release to highlight where I want the focal point to be. I can select individual points or all of them.
Yes!!! Thank you!! Just read articles and watched videos...and somehow i was in a manual focus...just switched to auto snd now playing with all the clusters....already taking sharper pics! Thank you all

So here are some I took today - I see a clear difference

Attachments

• IMG_7788.jpg
    IMG_7788.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 122
another
these were shot with these settings:
iso 100
f/3.5
50mm lens
1/100

Attachments

• IMG_7788-2.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 116
another

Attachments

• IMG_7822.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 130
This one I opened the app to 2.0 just to see
f/2
1/250
iso 100

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 101
When you press the shutter half down...and the focal points are hitting things you aren't looking to focus in on... is there a way to move the ones lighting up...

For example:
If i have the middle cluster and two light up but they are not on what i want...so then i oress shutter half down again and this time 3 different ones light up.... any way to get it to what i want?

I know about the single focal point but that is what i was doing w no luck

My camera it must be the settings i have it in somehow... only shows one square.... no cross.
We can't see the actual focus points. The squares just indicate where they are relative to the scene we see in the viewfinder.
The squares are actually projected on to what is known as the the focusing screen that is under the penta-mirror at the top front of the mirror box.
Light from the lens hits an angled mirror in the mirror box that bounces the light up through the focusing screen and penta-mirrror to the viewfinder eyepiece.

The focus points are actually in the AF module in the bottom of the camera body UNDER the mirror box.
That big mirror in the mirror box is partly transparent and has a smaller mirror behind it angled down to direct light from the lens down to the AF module.

The inside of your T6i pretty much looks like this:
File:E-30-Cutmodel.jpg - Wikipedia

Understanding Camera Autofocus

Last edited:
When you press the shutter half down...and the focal points are hitting things you aren't looking to focus in on... is there a way to move the ones lighting up...
It sounds like you're still in auto select mode. Hopefully this is the same for your t6i: Pressing the + button on the top right back of camera opens the AF point selection screen. Turning the main dial by the shutter release will scroll through automatic ( camera selects ) or 1 of nine manual selections. At least on the t5i. Then pressing the shutter half way will confirm either the points it's auto selecting, or confirming the point you've manually selected.

My camera it must be the settings i have it in somehow... only shows one square.... no cross.
We can't see the actual focus points. The squares just indicate where they are relative to the scene we see in the viewfinder.
The squares are actually projected on to what is known as the the focusing screen that is under the penta-mirror at the top front of the mirror box.
Light from the lens hits an angled mirror in the mirror box that bounces the light up through the focusing screen and penta-mirrror to the viewfinder eyepiece.

The focus points are actually in the AF module in the bottom of the camera body UNDER the mirror box.
That big mirror in the mirror box is partly transparent and has a smaller mirror behind it angled down to direct light from the lens down to the AF module.

The inside of your T6i pretty much looks like this:
File:E-30-Cutmodel.jpg - Wikipedia

Understanding Camera Autofocus

Thanks so much!!! I'll go read them now..

Did you notice any improvemnt in my newest photos I uploaded?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back