Sharpest Aperture on Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 (A007N)

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title says, anyone know the sharpest aperture for the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 (A007N)?

I have been playing around with it for landscapes. I prefer the higher f-stop for a larger focal plane, but worry about diffraction and loss of detail in some areas.

Some of my portrait shots are hit or miss too with pin-point sharpness, any ideas for the best aperture for this style of shooting with this lens?

My Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is tact-sharp almost every time! ...but I am finding this is not as often the case with the 24-70. Trying to figure out why.

mines pretty sharp at 2.8, at f/8-11 it's crazy sharp.

DSC_5985 by The Braineack, on Flickr

upload_2016-8-11_19-36-43-png.125917

mines pretty sharp at 2.8, at f/8-11 it's crazy sharp.

DSC_5985 by The Braineack, on Flickr

upload_2016-8-11_19-36-43-png.125917
Now that's sharp at f2.8 :)

Both the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 are amazingly sharp lenses and have one of the best (best in my limited experience) vibration control.
If your 24-70mm isn't as sharp as you expect it to be then either fine tune your camera or send it to Tamron for a tune.
When I bought my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC it wasn't sharp out the box, I had to fine tune it to -20 to get it sharp.
Then I decided this is crazy so I sent it to Tamron for a tune, I got my lens in 2 days and reset the camera fine tune and the lens was even sharper then when I fine tuned it, its just wonderful.
So going to Tamron is worth the trip.

Well my lens isn't "that bad" and I sometimes get amazingly tact-sharp shots that I am very impressed with, but not as consistently as I had hoped. Maybe it's user error, I am not saying I am perfect. That's why I was asking for others input on a good aperture to test more in dept with.

The sad part is, I bought mine on the "Grey Market" with the International Version, so no USA warranty...not sure what it would cost to send to Tamron for a fine tune. Though, I do have a MAC Warranty that the lens came with...maybe they cover something?

Since my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is amazingly sharp, I was curious if the 24-70 isn't as sharp (but all the review says it's neck-and-neck with the Nikkor)...more testing is needed I guess and maybe call Tamron to see what they can/will do.

Well my lens isn't "that bad" and I sometimes get amazingly tact-sharp shots that I am very impressed with, but not as consistently as I had hoped. Maybe it's user error, I am not saying I am perfect. That's why I was asking for others input on a good aperture to test more in dept with.

The sad part is, I bought mine on the "Grey Market" with the International Version, so no USA warranty...not sure what it would cost to send to Tamron for a fine tune. Though, I do have a MAC Warranty that the lens came with...maybe they cover something?

Since my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is amazingly sharp, I was curious if the 24-70 isn't as sharp (but all the review says it's neck-and-neck with the Nikkor)...more testing is needed I guess and maybe call Tamron to see what they can/will do.
My recommendation might sound odd, but first thing I would try is to shut the vc off and shoot some shots at shutter speeds of 1/320 or even a bit higher.

See what sort of results you get, and are they consistently sharp.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

A smaller opening gives a sharper image. Try looking through your fingertips making a tiny opening to look through.

That looks like it might be an original GT40. Very few made, even fewer left now. Beautiful shot.

yup. right-hand drive and all. Lots of money in McLean VA.

A smaller opening gives a sharper image. Try looking through your fingertips making a tiny opening to look through.
That statement is true up until the point that it is not true. Then it's false.

MOST (not all) lenses are sharper at about f/8 as compared to wide open, but as the aperture value increases beyond a certain poiont, diffraction kicks in and hampers sharpness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back