She didn't want her picture taken

elizabethysmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking pictures for a mothers day project at work and this little girl did not want her picture taken - I waited until the end to take her's and by golly it was the best of the bunch! I just love her eyes, such a sweet girl.

$NEW.jpg

A very nice expression and overall correct exposure (maybe a tad overexposed ?); vertical framing would have been more appropriate I think, and the picture lacks critical sharpness ...

I'm finding my "nifty fifty" to not be totally sharp :( though I'm a beginner so it's probably user error of some sort.

elizabethysmom said:
I'm finding my "nifty fifty" to not be totally sharp :( though I'm a beginner so it's probably user error of some sort.

Exif shows you shot wide open. That's why. Stop it down some and you will see a drastic difference. That's why it's somewhat soft and the ears are out of focus.

The "nifty fifty" is not its sharpest shot wide open. If you have the 1.4, I recommend stopping it to 2.8 and you will see a difference.

Mach0 said:
Exif shows you shot wide open. That's why. Stop it down some and you will see a drastic difference. That's why it's somewhat soft and the ears are out of focus.

Thanks I will try that - I wanted to blur those weeds and cyclone fence behind her lol

I wanted to blur those weeds and cyclone fence behind her lol
Had you shot vertical, the fence on the left of the frame would have been avoided. Even so, you can get the background OOF at f/5.6 if the distances from camera-to-subject and subject-to-background are considered. If you have a DOF Preview button on your camera, it will show you what the results will be, albeit in a darkened state, in the viewfinder.

unfortunately the project we're working on with the kid's pictures calls for a horizontal photo, I agree though it would have been nice vertically.

unfortunately the project we're working on with the kid's pictures calls for a horizontal photo, I agree though it would have been nice vertically.
Okay, that wasn't specific in your OP. So with that in mind, you should consider the composition a little more citically by placing your subject in a power point with regard to the RoT. Having her off-set from center will give the viewer a more pleasing experience rather than giving the image a fleeting glance. A 2/3 mask or profile seems to work well if you are shooting in landscape and also giving the subject room to breath. In general, placing the eyes in the top third of the frame is a best practice.

Profile in landscape

2/3 mask in landscape

Hope this helps some.

Okay, that wasn't specific in your OP. So with that in mind, you should consider the composition a little more citically by placing your subject in a power point with regard to the RoT. Having her off-set from center will give the viewer a more pleasing experience rather than giving the image a fleeting glance. A 2/3 mask or profile seems to work well if you are shooting in landscape and also giving the subject room to breath. In general, placing the eyes in the top third of the frame is a best practice.

Profile in landscape

2/3 mask in landscape

Hope this helps some.

Exactly ... here, just move the camera down and to the right ...

Hhmmm....

I think I detect a decision made by a committee. A committee comprised of non-photographers, by any chance?

It was the committee at oriental trading or michaels or wherever they bought the frames the kids decorated lol :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back