She doesn't uaually allow this! :) CC please!

Nickie1358

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter HATES the camera.. this was a once in a BLUE MOON opportunity for me. And she only allowed me to take pictures for about 10 mins. How'd I do?? And for number 2 how could I have exposed her face better?

BaylieFirstShoot021.jpg

BaylieFirstShoot018.jpg

BaylieFirstShoot010.jpg

BaylieFirstShoot019.jpg

BaylieFirstShoot033.jpg

A fill flash would have done wonders!

It looks like your aperture was too wide. #1 and #4 her face looks soft. Also need to work on framing -- #1 the bottom of her arm is cut, #3 her fingers, and #4 her left hand are all missing :)

For #2 you need to make sure the sky isn't brighter than the subject so that she doesn't get underexposed.(just a matter of changing position)

She has a great smile.

Disclaimer: This monitor is crap so all my comments may be moot.

It looks like your aperture was too wide. #1 and #4 her face looks soft. Also need to work on framing -- #1 the bottom of her arm is cut, #3 her fingers, and #4 her left are all missing :)

For #2 you need to make sure the sky isn't brighter than the subject so that she doesn't get underexposed.(just a matter of changing position)

She has a great smile.

Disclaimer: This monitor is crap so all my comments may be moot.

ohhhh hey look at that.. did not even notice that! Thank you Ill pay more attention to that from now on! And thanks for the compliment on her smile! :)

Pretty girl. I would use a flash next time.

When you have subject outlines against a bright sky, the camera exposure meter sees mostly the sky and tries to make it medium grey (that's what meters do), so your sky is darker and your subject is very dark.

Expose on your subject.

The pictures are typical pictures of a cute child who is playing ot the camera. Shoot more and she'll loosen up and shoot in open shade.
bayliefirstshoot021llll.jpg

Traveler, excellent edit, as it made a world of difference. In bright open light I wouldn't rely on fill flash, but rather as Traveler said, expose properly. Use spot metering, and meter on your subject without the bright sky directly behind that area. It might be better to meter off the grass right in front of her. Use manual or exposure lock ,so your exposure doesn't change as you start to compose your pictures.

Last edited:
The WB also appears to be off a bit. Her skin tones are a bit blue to me, but they look a bit better in Traveler's edit. I'd still adjust the WB.

The problems in trying to resurrect a very underexposed picture are too much for me.
The cold tone and lack of detail in the original shadows means that the face will look undersaturated, blue and flat.
The OP needs to start with a better exposure.

My experience in street shooting is that if I ignore a potential target in a crowd and shoot around them, eventually they will want to be photographed.
That has worked with children also.
Then just shoot until they get tired of posing and act natural.
I shot everything on the porch until this little boy got bored and ignored me and I got this shot.

Nice pix.

One could have uased some fill light on her face. I like the chair one a lot. would like to see it with different head postions. Keep up the good work!

I like her expression best in #2 but it is the worst exposure and composition. With some editing though it could make a great shot. I'd crop it from the top, clone out the bright clouds as they are distracting, insert exposure layers on her face and eyes. This photo can really pop with some editing.

BaylieFirstShoot-lip-edit by GREYBEARD12, on Flickr

Last edited:
When you have subject outlines against a bright sky, the camera exposure meter sees mostly the sky and tries to make it medium grey (that's what meters do), so your sky is darker and your subject is very dark.

Expose on your subject.

The pictures are typical pictures of a cute child who is playing ot the camera. Shoot more and she'll loosen up and shoot in open shade.
bayliefirstshoot021llll.jpg

traveller - would you spot meter on her face?

As greybeard said, this photo could really pop with the right editing. I'm not the best at it but i do like to practice so here's my version. Before and after...

untitled-7.jpg

Girledit-2.jpg

traveller - would you spot meter on her face?

If I am taking a quick picture of someone against a bright sky, I just overexpose a stop or two, depending on the brightness and where I am standing and their relationship to the sky. (that's why the exposure compensation wheel is so useful)
If I have enough time to switch to spot meter, I will.
If I have more time and can move the subject, I get them somewhere more conducive to a good result.

Most reactions

Back