Shelby

kathythorson said:
Then go ahead and edit it the way you would so she can see a few different approaches. Please and thank you.

The OP's own edits in Post #7 look plenty good. Realistic detail. Nice color. Wonderful colors,light and very summery-feeling lighting, detail in her hair, and a naturalistic look. I don't see much need to edit out all skin detail, and mush the hair up. The OP's two images in post #7 look plenty good to me; they have a modern, high-resolution d-slr look to them. Naturalistic. Realistic. Lovely.

another version.. I used your method of looking at the numbers and tried my hand at it. i used her cheek though.. using between her eyes made her too orangey for me. I also upped the exposure on just her a tiny bit instead of the entire image to avoid blowing out the dress.

$shelby (1 of 1)-7.jpg

another version.. I used your method of looking at the numbers and tried my hand at it. i used her cheek though.. using between her eyes made her too orangey for me. I also upped the exposure on just her a tiny bit instead of the entire image to avoid blowing out the dress.

View attachment 50673
Awesome. This is the perfect example of taking the basics and making it your own unique style. She is beautiful and you did a really good job on this shoot Bonnie.

WTF? The preview thumbnail looks horrible. LOL I understand not being as sharp or something. But showing a totally different color is totally unacceptable. WTH TPF? After I click it, it looks pretty good.

WTF? The preview thumbnail looks horrible. LOL I understand not being as sharp or something. But showing a totally different color is totally unacceptable. WTH TPF? After I click it, it looks pretty good.

I see thumbnails jacked up all the time. My phone is even showing my originals randomly GREEN like that too now.. something is weird.

View attachment 50673
I was going to tell you one thing. When you are picking a mid tone to check the RGB numbers, the cheek would not generally be one of them. The cheek is going to be a highlight most of the time.

So I was messing with another image trying to look at the #s and I am just not getting it.. when I think I have the #s where they are "supposed to be" the image is like crazy yellow/orange.. lol

shelby (1 of 1)-8 by capturedbybc, on Flickr

So I was messing with another image trying to look at the #s and I am just not getting it.. when I think I have the #s where they are "supposed to be" the image is like crazy yellow/orange.. lol

shelby (1 of 1)-8 by capturedbybc, on Flickr
It gets VERY tricky when you are shooting in backlighting. Backlighting can be extremely hard to edit, and sometimes I have to get rid of alot of color casts. You are getting deep here. You jumped to like chapter 7! :) You are still going to start with a reading from a bright midtone spot, and continue the same way. Sometimes it just takes a little bit longer to get things just right with backlighting and haze.

If anyone else wanted to take a stab at this one I'm happy to send over the raw image. (regular posters only please lol)
Once you get in that general range for skintones and luminance, then you can tweak it to your own taste. Either cool it down or warm it up; whatever floats your boat. The point here is to have a good workflow that will facilitate consistent results. My main goal with clients is to produce what I know will please them and what sells. That is the bottom line. I have to make a profit if I am going to be sitting behind that computer. (This is just for the business side of things)
Here is a little bit of logic behind the way I edited this image. So these are the things I know about this girl just from the RAW file.
-she is very tan
-she bleaches her teeth (I was in the dental field for ten years and I can tell from the enamel up close when I was editing)
-she has highlights in her hair
-she is dressed very trendy

With this information I am going to edit more along the lines of a senior or glamour session, because this would be more along the lines of the clients style from my experience. This client would most likely like more of a polished edit. This is what is going to sell to this genre of client. (This is my experience I am going off of)
If the client had no makeup on, very conservative clothing choices, and more of a plain Jane look, then I would edit on the really clean side, because that would be what they would expect to see. That is what would sell. This is how my brain operates during shooting and editing for clients. This kinda shuts down when I shoot for myself.
Food for thought. Take it or leave it. :)

Well, I think senior/glamour is definitely suitable for her.. she's 17 and going to be a senior this coming year. haha She's trying to get into modeling.. this was her first "real shoot". Funny enough, the dress she's wearing is actually mine.. I brought it along for her to wear, but she does dress sort of trendy/boho/hippie ish. She loved my original edit but I will play with your method to work with skin tones and see what I come up with that's more "in line" with my normal edits. I have mostly been shooting families and such so the editing style is different for sure.
By the way, I love her style and can I borrow the dress for my trip to Mexico? ;)

Once you get in that general range for skintones and luminance, then you can tweak it to your own taste. Either cool it down or warm it up; whatever floats your boat. The point here is to have a good workflow that will facilitate consistent results. My main goal with clients is to produce what I know will please them and what sells. That is the bottom line. I have to make a profit if I am going to be sitting behind that computer. (This is just for the business side of things)
Here is a little bit of logic behind the way I edited this image. So these are the things I know about this girl just from the RAW file.
-she is very tan
-she bleaches her teeth (I was in the dental field for ten years and I can tell from the enamel up close when I was editing)
-she has highlights in her hair
-she is dressed very trendy

With this information I am going to edit more along the lines of a senior or glamour session, because this would be more along the lines of the clients style from my experience. This client would most likely like more of a polished edit. This is what is going to sell to this genre of client. (This is my experience I am going off of)
If the client had no makeup on, very conservative clothing choices, and more of a plain Jane look, then I would edit on the really clean side, because that would be what they would expect to see. That is what would sell. This is how my brain operates during shooting and editing for clients. This kinda shuts down when I shoot for myself.
Food for thought. Take it or leave it. :)

Well, I think senior/glamour is definitely suitable for her.. she's 17 and going to be a senior this coming year. haha She's trying to get into modeling.. this was her first "real shoot". Funny enough, the dress she's wearing is actually mine.. I brought it along for her to wear, but she does dress sort of trendy/boho/hippie ish. She loved my original edit but I will play with your method to work with skin tones and see what I come up with that's more "in line" with my normal edits. I have mostly been shooting families and such so the editing style is different for sure.
By the way, I love her style and can I borrow the dress for my trip to Mexico? ;)

Sure! I'll meet ya at the border.. I'm only 30 min from it! Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back