Shelley The Drummer

DigitalDiva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this photo in California last November. This woman is a kick-ass drummer. She make look tiny and delicate..but she knows her stuff. I don't really know her. She was introduced to me through a mutual friend.

I sat and talked to Shelley a week before the shoot. From talking with her, I came up with the concept and scene. We walked out to this area and were stopped by a local park ranger who said that photography was not permitted. Luckily, we talked the park ranger into letting us go ahead. The sun was already going down and we had to race to set up her kit and get going. Exciting!

My two main subject passions are portraits and still life / nature. I have been posting a lot of my boring flower shots lately...so I thought I'd post some of my portrait stuff. Comments welcome.

shelley%20(2).jpg

Technically it's very good...but there is something off putting about her attire. A cocktail dress and high heel shoes just doesn't fit with my idea of a drummer, nor does it fit with the setting. I suppose, that is why you/she chose that...but it still looks weird to me.

Yeah, I know. But it was also an Indian Reserve land and they are really concerned with people respecting the land. The ranger asked me if I would be profiting off of my images. I told the truth and said, 'no'. Not on these images. Otherwise, in CA, you have to have a permit. At least, according to this ranger. *shrugs shoulders*.

I love it! It's great and now I need to do something creative - like RIGHT NOW! lol. Great job!

I like it, but the drum kit looks awkward... i bet thats not usually how she has it set up. But great setting and lighting and contrast!

Thanks for the comments.

Kathi, that's very flattering and kind of you to write. :)

Joey, she actually set up the kit. I think you might be confused by her body position to the kit, which is a pose I had her move into. A drummer has to have their legs a bit more open and apart to hit the bass and hi-hat. In that dress..no way! ;)

Nice, creative shot...I think it all the elements work really well together, personally. I love incorporating nature into shots, also. The only thing I'm not really keen on is her pose. Something about the stiffness in her body, the stern look on her face and the placement of the drumsticks. I think I'd like it better if she were either rocking out or in a more relaxed pose. Just my POV, though.

Thanks. I agree her pose is stiff. She was extremely nervous and in the limited amount of time, I couldn't get her to relax. Wish I could shoot more of her. Now she's on the other side of the world from me.

Great shot - the cocktail dress/high heels add something feminine to the drum set which I do welcome, even if it may seem out of place at first, I think it's a great capture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back