Shield Bug and a Spider

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I put on my old 50mm with FD to EOS mount and went hunting for bugs yesterday. These two are the best shots.

I really like the shield bug although with the super narrow DOF I think it drops off at the top of his eyes, a little more there would have been nice.

The spider, that one was a bit of a challenge and I probably should have cut the flower and brought it in out of the wind but I wasn't sure he would tolerate it so I just did my best. He is inside a daffodil and holy yellow Batman!! I decided to go with black and white because the yellow was just way too much and made him muddy yellow no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the flash inside the flower effectively.

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for taking a look :)

Here is a different composition of the spider one, I couldn't/can't decide which one I prefer, I think both are viable.

I like the wider take on the spider. Something about the extra space feels better to me.

Thanks Jaca :)

Not really a bump, more of a nudge into the active topics for the evening folks ;)

I have to agree on the spider with the extra space. I can't decide if I want to be able to tell that the daffodil is a daffodil. Also I now have a very slight fear of daffodils. Sort of a vague uneasiness. So, thanks? :lol:

Thanks Squirrels :) Believe me, if there wasn't potentially a cool shot I would have left him quite alone, I seem to get brave when there is a camera in front of my face...without the camera I'm exiting stage left ... quickly lol

Here is the shot in colour, other than the yellow it really isn't identifiable as anything other than a yellow... something ... I didn't find the colour added anything but rather detracted because he is so bathed in yellow light I think he is lost in mud.

I like this spider shot much better in color. If you wanna' go B&W with it, it needs some filter effects or channel mixer tweaking to differentiate the spider a bit. On this kind of shot, I fully expect the spider would be contaminated with the yellow, so...I prefer the yellow version.

I like the extra space with the spider too. It kind of gives it a creep sense of being able to move in on ya...

In the words of my daughter when she was 3...gucky! I hate spiders.

Thanks Derrel and Juga, I'm with you Juga, these guys are FAR from my favourite thing that is around but sometimes the camera makes me brave! lol

Derrel, thanks for your thoughts, I suppose my huge dislike of yellow (don't ask me why I shot a critter I don't like in a flower of a colour I don't like lol :p) may have sneaked in to my decision making. I do like the black and white but wish it was cleaner and crisper etc... I am going to play a bit then chalk this one up to a learning experience ;)

Love the spider shot, elegant and creepy at the same time.

Thanks Benco :)

Most reactions

Back