Shipping Camera to Cold Environment, Safe?

rfosness88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
So I am about to buy my first DSLR(Canon 40D), and it will be shipped to Wisconsin. It's only gotten down to about 20 degrees F, would it be a problem if its sitting in the cold four an hour or two. I figure the luggage compartment of the airplane gets pretty cold at 30,000 FT.

Should I open the package and put the camera in a plastic bag before I bring it inside, because of humidity?

My relative will be packaging it, but they know nothing about cameras, are there any special precautions we should take?

Thanks

Ya, I think it will be absolutely fine. I mean, just IMO, but people take these out in the middle of antarctica, and shoot for hours on end. So I think there's no need to worry. But I have no idea, haha. But I just realized, I don't think they will leave it. I know when I ordered mine, they called at the beginning of the day and said it would be delivered that day, so make sure somebody is home to sign for it, otherwise it would be kept until I came to claim it. But that's in MA, I don't know if it's different in Wisconsin but that's what it was like when I got mine.
P.S. Have fun with your new camera, I just bought one over the summer, and I LOVE it.

Awsome, thanks. I'm buying the camera used. When you buy from a store I think they request the signiture thing.
I can't wait for the camera!! I don't have a lens yet though. I'm thinking of like a 28-200mm found one for like $100, I know at that price it will be a piece of ****, but I'm in college and have no money. Just want something to learn with.

I took pics of the full eclipse last year in MN, and my camera was fine at -25F until the batt died. Just dont expect to use the lenses right away because they fog like crazy till they warm up.

anyway, as far as leaving it on the doorstep... That is not something that depends on it being new or used. It depends on how the shipper sends the item to you. Most of the time with more expensive items they will require a signature that way if you say you never received the item they can show it was indeed delivered. This is important to remember if you ever try to sell something and use paypal for it. You can get royally screwed if you chose not to get the signature required.

The thing to remember with cold is condensation. When a cold object is cold and goes into a warm (& humid) environment, water vapor will condense on the cold surfaces...which could mean inside and outside the camera.

To avoid this, you just need to let the camera warm up before you expose it to the warm humid indoor air.

The commonly mentioned thing to do when bringing in a camera from the cold into a warm, probably more moist atmosphere is to put it in a zip lock baggie while outside and leave it in the bag when you bring it inside until it reaches room temperature.

Thanks guys, helps alot.

Regarding the signature, I was trying to say if you buy it new from a store they probably require signature by default, where as buying used from some guy may or may not do the signature thing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back