Shipping Charges

Zrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it just me or have shipping charges to Canada increased? Im looking for a new shoulder strap like the op/tech or similar. For me to get it across the border im looking at anyware between 30-75. Iv looked at just about every camera store in canada and im still looking at around 20-30 for shipping. i even checked ebay and amazon..

That seems a little high for such a small item ... unless the packaging makes the shipping box large, which will cause the charges to be higher.

Just be glad that our dollar is nearly on par with the greenback. It was closer to $0.70 for a long time, so not only was shipping expensive, but it was in US dollars and we had to swallow the conversion.

The problem, is often that many retail stores or sites, only ship with couriers...FedEx, UPS etc. They often charge a lot for cross border shipments.
On top of that is the brokerage fees, which are what they charge to actually get the stuff across the border. I've seen some surprisingly high brokerage fees added to ground shipments. However, with their 'airmail' services, the shipping is more but the brokerage is less or at least included in the price.

If you can find a place that is willing to ship via USPS (post office), then the shipping rate is usually better. But like I said, most retail stores don't.

You might try B&H. They have recently added Purolator to their shipping options, which is nice for us Canadians. They also have an option to prepay the brokerage & tax, so you don't have to pay it on arrival (or get a bill in the mail later).

But yes, overall, shipping can be a killer for us up here. I recently paid over $60 for a small 1 pound box (two lenses).
And it's a slap in the face that so many retails are offering 'free shipping' but only to the US...they don't even both giving us Canadians a discount on shipping.

B&H was almost $30 for shipping and brokerage fees... last time i ordered from them the fee's seemed quite resonable. i think i payed less than that for my battery grip, battery, and my dome.... much heavier and bigger package..

It seems a bit ridiculous now. It cost twice as much to get goods TO Canada then it is to get products FROM Canada. I think every Canadian company I deal with for promotional products gives me free FedEx shipping, but to send something to Canada is insane. Should we be blaming US Customs?, Canadian tariffs?, UPS or FedEx? I have no idea. It gives me a headache. I bet if B&H offered free shipping to Canada they would CLEAN UP and sales would go well beyond the cost of shipping.

yep that they would... i just looked at the details for the shipping charges and they charge a $8.00 Security and handling fee. I like dealing with B&H but i think that is a little excessive on a $20 item.

Last edited:
A while ago I was interested in something from B&H, they were offering free shipping to the US only. To Canada they wanted to send it by courier or UPS only, for $43.00. I knew the courier/UPS would charge be $35.00 or so processing fee. On a $160.00 item. It could have been sent by US Mail for $10.00 or so. No business from me.

To the OP: Have you checked out eBay for a strap? Many eBay sellers from China ship for free or minimal charge. That's where I look most of the time, don't bother with the overpriced shippers in the US.

I buy most of my stuff from b&h and don't have any issues with their pricing. Recently I placed an order for a domke f2, point and shoot camera, two filters, some lighting gear, total was $400. I paid about $30 for shipping, taxes and duty plus it was here in Montreal in 2 days. Shipping with purolator was about $15 out of the $30.

I paid about $30 for shipping, taxes and duty plus it was here in Montreal in 2 days. Shipping with purolator was about $15 out of the $30.
GST alone is $20. :er:

Big Mike said:
GST alone is $20. :er:

I'll take a screenshot of the invoice when I get home.

When I get a shipment from the US, I either have to pay GST to the courier upon arrival, or they send me a bill later. If GST isn't on the invoice, then I'd expect you to get something in the mail.

There have been exceptions, but that's usually on small/inexpensive items that come via USPS.

So I got my amounts wrong. My last order was $265usd. $13 shipping and $15 landed costs paid up front. 2 days to get here. I've never received any bill after the fact when buying from B&H

A while ago I was interested in something from B&H, they were offering free shipping to the US only. To Canada they wanted to send it by courier or UPS only, for $43.00. I knew the courier/UPS would charge be $35.00 or so processing fee. On a $160.00 item. It could have been sent by US Mail for $10.00 or so. No business from me.

To the OP: Have you checked out eBay for a strap? Many eBay sellers from China ship for free or minimal charge. That's where I look most of the time, don't bother with the overpriced shippers in the US.

i tried ebay but got some sort of error every time i entered my shipping info so i gave up

finally got ebay to work... forgot to register my prepaid visa. hopefully this time i don't get screwed... last time i got double billed and both ebay and Paypal basically said not their fault.. had to talk to may bank who covered the second charge for me and said they would deal with them...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back