Shipping Container

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rare non-wildlife shot from me. But it was out by the wetlands. There was something about all the spray used to cover up graffiti, the rust, the age. It caught my eye, I thought it just gave it an interesting texture so of thing.

container by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

Well if bribius likes it I'm happy, he never likes my stuff! :lol:

well. I may not like it for the reasons you think.
I like the colors, the near browns go with the mountains the blues on it go with the sky. so I like the colors.
I like the positioning in the shot, it just barely leaves room around it to see, you can just barely see the tops of the mountains and around the side.
It gives this appearance of this big old, debris surrounded thing that is affronting (that the word?) but yet pretty in similar colors blocking your view of whats around it. Just leaving you enough of a tease over the top and the sides. And it clearly doesn't belong there, but it is anyway. Almost challenging.
And then you look up over the top again, at the mountain line. And you see the cellphone tower, extending up. Further rubbing it in that you just aren't high enough to see over it. And that is like the cherry on top of the situation.

the open door too, its kind of saying "come on in", but im not moving.

Rare non-wildlife shot from me. But it was out by the wetlands. There was something about all the spray used to cover up graffiti, the rust, the age. It caught my eye, I thought it just gave it an interesting texture so of thing.
look at the colors and look at the frame. It is giving you its own metal color version of the earth colors around it. Only version I think it is missing is green. Perhaps that is what you saw. It might have even been closer pre post process.

I like the subject, but the processing hurts it some.
Looks like HDR (not a bad thing). The photo seems washed out and noisy which makes it feel soft.
The composition feels too close as well. I would have either pulled back or got closer for some detail or abstract frames.

Nice find though.

I like the subject, but the processing hurts it some.
Looks like HDR (not a bad thing). The photo seems washed out and noisy which makes it feel soft.
The composition feels too close as well. I would have either pulled back or got closer for some detail or abstract frames.

Nice find though.
I submitted it for a photo of the month choice. while I don't find shipping containers photos interesting and inventive I find the colors in this one original and the relation of the container and colors to the surrounding landscape both obvious in proportion but subtle at the same time. There is no obvious lines, textures, symmetry, which are often the easiest things to notice and take a photo of. If he got closer and pulled a texture or abstract off this I don't think I would have even considered a nomination. it is just to simple, easy, and common the current form as more depth for me. I think the relations in the frame, its originality in the color relations, the fact it isn't just another "hey look a lines and texture photo" but has less obvious but maybe more depth and him noticing is worth the nomination. It borders on being a chameleon trying to blend in the landscape. Which I also find amusing. Like a elephant in a dog show on a dog leash.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back