Shipping on E-bay???

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that 'padding' the price of an item with a steep shipping charge is very common on E-bay but this takes the prize:

Minolta_CLE

BTW, that's a beautiful camera but at that shipping charge I expect the Postmaster General to deliver it to me in person!:lol:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
core_17 said:
IT HAS A BID EVEN!!! :shock:

Yeah, no kidding... However, if no one else bids and the sole bidder wins it, it's still a fair price for the camera+lenses. I bet he/she is banking on that.

Also, it might be just the most creative way to sell it. You try to sell it at an opening bid of $500+ and the E-bay fees are piling up. With the $0.01 opening bid there are very small fees. Anyway, it'll be interesting to watch this item and the bidding progress.

Oops... It's a $0.99 opening bid, not $0.01. Mea Culpa! This late at night I only do 'reverse' math. :lmao:

I've seen some people do this (and some get caught by it when they think they're getting a last minute bargain)!

I think sellers often build the price they are hoping for into the postage price so that the starting bid is low and hence, so are their ebay fees.

I've been the guy stung but never that bad. I once got an ebay listing canceled because I explained a $5 shipping charge on a cd by saying it included the cost of the adv and the paypal fee. The big price was for the item iself.

Ebay pulled the adv saying that including the fees in the shipping and handling violated their polocy.The didn't like that I was trying to avoid their fair listing fee and value added fee. I got hit on a five dollar s&h and guys get away with this crap all the time.

He most likely was trying to avoid the sales fee.... I don't blame him for that. but a lot of new people assume the shipping and handling is reasonable. It is totally a bogus sales technique.

Now let me go list my $5 shipping and handling fee on a cd ... actually I do have to do that today,

Unimaxium said:
"This listing (#7587905346) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."

Anyone care to share what the page said?

I was about to post this!

It was a camera with 3 lenses...bidding started at .99, but shipping was $799.99.

This was the reply I got when I asked if the shipping price was correct.

"Hello...actually I reversed the list price and the shipping by accident. I can not revise it unless the bidder agrees to retract their bid. So winning bidder actually pays 799.99 for the camera plus what ever the list price goes up to and I will pay for the shipping. Thank you Angela"

So I assume the bidder withdraw their bid & the seller may have re-listed the item.

You can always cancel someone's bid, so the seller is just full of it. It's been my experience that when I've had to cancel an item and relist it, it usually shows that the item has been relisted and it gives you the new item number. When there's no info like that, it means ebay has come in and deleted the auction all together and sent the seller a warning. :er:

PlasticSpanner said:
This was the reply I got when I asked if the shipping price was correct.

"Hello...actually I reversed the list price and the shipping by accident. I can not revise it unless the bidder agrees to retract their bid. So winning bidder actually pays 799.99 for the camera plus what ever the list price goes up to and I will pay for the shipping. Thank you Angela"

So I assume the bidder withdraw their bid & the seller may have re-listed the item.

That would make sense but when posting an ad, you go through thses 4-5 steps where they ask you separately what's the starting price and what's the shipping charge. Hard to imagine that Angela did that by mistake. Just my HO here.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back