Shocking breach of Copyright

I too think it's an innocent thing. I know a guy with a Kodak camera and he uses their photo sharing site. Every picture has an 'order prints' option. Even Flickr has that option (though only for my photos, not those belonging to others). So in theory, I could upload anything I wanted and order prints for myself.

One of my favorite time-killer sites is actually one called 'found photos'. It's just randomness from around the web, but many shots are really interesting.

http://www.10eastern.com/foundphotos/

It's a part of this small online subculture that digs up photos on peer-to-peer networks (many people allow the P2P progs to search for 'sharable media' on their computer and end up inadvertently sharing their entire hard drive). Part of this culture of course is looking for, how should I say, 'private moments', but in this case it's almost like the guy is a curator for an offbeat gallery.

From his 'about us' page:

The Found Photos started in 2004 while searching for mp3's using a filesharing program. I was searching through someones shared file list and saw a folder named 'pictures'. I downloaded the folder and found 20 or more pictures from this persons life, photos of himself and his friends etc. It made me wonder what else was out there, and after searching for more photos I found hundreds, thousands of them publicly shared.

The FoundPhotos Archives consist of my filtered view from hundreds of thousands of images downloaded via peer to peer filesharing networks, updated regularly.

--Illah

I find it funny that when you go to right click on it, a thing comes up saying "protected" talk about irony.

This caught my eye as I have a fotki site and have been quite happy with them.

The selling tags have been removed. Fotki is apparently responsive to complaints, as they should be.

The guy may indeed be naive, but it wasn't accidental. Setting up sale of prints requires 1. a paid acct and 2. deliberate set up procedure that's enough of a pain to never happen accidently.

What he's doing is still copyright infringement. I'm personally not losing much sleep over it.

d

Most reactions

Back