Shoe mount multiclamp

What are you trying to do Lucki? Both of these are used on a light stand and allow you to attach an umbrella. Not sure I've heard them called a shoe mount multiclamp

I want to be able to connect a flash to a stand...and umbrella.

I want to be able to connect a flash to a stand...and umbrella.

Then that is what you need. I have a couple of lightweight 10' stands with "multiclamps" and umbrellas, and they are very handy. You can remove the umbrellas, shorten them all the way down, and use them as background/hair lights as well.

TC, that's a pretty decent deal for two full stand set-ups. According to my zip code, with shipping, would be $110.

The nice thing about these is that you can fold up the stand and umbrella, loosen the swivel on the head, and fold the umbrella down against the stand into one nice compact unit. I can fit two of these into a tripod bag and keep them tucked away in the back of the truck, well out of the way.

Here is a little video on strobist.com that goes through the set-up.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

awesome, thanks! I have been trying to get over to strobist and check it out. I skimmed it a few days ago, but really need to study it :D I am also getting the vivitar 285hv...can;t wait to figure everything out! Right now I am only planning on getting 1 of everything (umbrella, stand, flash, trigger), do you think I NEED at least 2?

I would plan on getting at least two eventually. If you plan on doing some light portraiture, then you will want to balance out. Direct flash is pretty good, but once you start "modifying" it (umbrellas, soft boxes, etc), you lose a lot of the potency. So, you could use a reflector to bounce some fill onto the darker side of a face...but you are now modifying the light twice, which becomes far less effective.

I would plan on getting at least two eventually. If you plan on doing some light portraiture, then you will want to balance out. Direct flash is pretty good, but once you start "modifying" it (umbrellas, soft boxes, etc), you lose a lot of the potency. So, you could use a reflector to bounce some fill onto the darker side of a face...but you are now modifying the light twice, which becomes far less effective.

I will have natural light coming into the room also, so maybe that will make up for only having 1 set up for the time being? I am just a little concerned that the "color" will be uneven (not really sure what this is called) using 2 different lighting sources. Is this a bad Idea? Should I just try to manage with the one light for now or use it with the natural light. I will plan on getting some more lighting in the future when my bigger "studio" is finished.

You should be ok if you use your manual setting to take advantage of the ambient light.

Are you using these in a wireless setup or wires? Which camera and flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back