Shoo fly!

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A shot of a common house fly. I don't know the scientific name. It's not a true macro as I don't have a 1:1 macro lens, I used an ET and shot hand held. It looks a little cool to me but It could just be me.

Fly01jpg.jpg

I think you mean "cool" as in color temperature - I agree and don't think the blue cast works. A bit too top-down on the viewpoint for me. Underexposure in the face. Motion blur is not too bad for hand-held. Background is made even worse by the blue cast. Framing and subject size would be ok if the background had more interest, as it is there is too much space at right.

You are correct about my usage of 'cool'. He was actually on the side of my kitchen cabinet so I was at an odd angle, I may go back and mess with the WB, see if I can remove the blue cast. I didn't want to crop him too tight and I left most of the negative space on the lower right because that was the directing he was facing.

Your rational for the cropping is fine but the background isn't working. [Ummm, you problably don't have the focus to crop tighter anyway]. Also see if you can boost the low end of the gamma curve to recover some of the details in the face - though you don't have much room in the mid-tones, you may be able to get some details there. Needs to be a tight boost so that you don't bring the background up any more.

Ok, I downloaded the jpg that you have here. Examining I found that the blue channel has way too much gain and saturates starting at the mid-tones on up. The only thing I could do with that was go to B&W. I then reverse "S" curved the gamma to boost the dark areas and added a little boost to the sharpness then re-cropped. I uploaded to my flickr site and will keep it up for a day or so then remove. Looks like you can get more detail in the face but you will have to look at the raw (if you have one) to see what has happened to the blue channel.

6236726302_64141a68f2_b.jpg

I altered the WB and cropped tighter. Not much I can do about the background but I don't see why it's such a problem. I think the blue cast is an issue with ViewNX2. I had the same problems with my lunar photography. I would edit the pics and they would look fine in NX2 but if I opened them in gimp or posted them here they looked blue.

Fly02.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back