"Shoot" and "Shot" and "Shooting"

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I've been photographing people, scenes and objects for over 40 years and I've yet to "shoot" anything or anyone while using a camera. Call me old fashioned, anal retentive, grumpy, .... whatever you want, your choice, but I find the continuing use of "Shoot", "Shot" and "Shooting" amateurish.

Pat
(grumpy old git)

Last edited:
Good for you Pat. I'll be printing out a Grammar Police Award of Appreciation for you and sending it to you care of general delivery there in Campbellton. Knowing the speed of the Canadian postal system, I would expect that it should arrive soon after the Hades freeze-over, sometime in late 2013.

Knowing the speed of the Canadian postal system, I would expect that it should arrive soon after the Hades freeze-over, sometime in late 2013.

Don't use general delivery overland service, you'll have to use the 'special speedy service' (S.S.S.) of our postal service un-provider if you wish for it to get here that quickly.

I've ben photographing people, scenes and objects for over 40 years and I've yet to "shoot" anything or anyone while using a camera. Call me old fashioned, anal retentive, grumpy, .... whatever you want, your choice, but I find the continuing use of "Shoot", "Shot" and "Shooting" amateurish.

Pat
(grumpy old git)

I could not agree more.

Someone once told me that the term "Snapshot" was originally derived from Sharpshooters?

I read some years ago a short article, with a citation from a bird hunter, that he had managed to kill a bird with a "snap shot", and that the term "snap shot" was thereafter used mainly in reference to shotgun hunting in which the shooter raises the shotgun to his shoulder, and fires very quickly. Being familiar with shotguns and shotgunning, I know that this type of shooting at a moving bird is often called "point shooting", as opposed to other methods like the sustained lead and the swing-through methods of leading a moving target. Point shooting, or "snap shooting" is most often used on very fast-moving and quickly disappearing game birds like grouse and quail. Again, the "snap shot" first reference I read about was from a bird hunter's field journals,and for some reason, the year strikes me as having been 1843...

Regardless...I have heard the term "shoot some photos", and well as the very common and widespread term "photo shoot" or "photoshoot" for many years now...as well as , "I missed the shot," and "I got the shot!" and so on. For many years my internet sig file was Happy Shooting! --Derrel

I've ben photographing people, scenes and objects for over 40 years and I've yet to "shoot" anything or anyone while using a camera. Call me old fashioned, anal retentive, grumpy, .... whatever you want, your choice, but I find the continuing use of "Shoot", "Shot" and "Shooting" amateurish.

Pat
(grumpy old git)

OK.... Best of luck to you in getting those industry standard terms changed.:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure the countless pro shooters out their who say "Shoot," "shooting," "shooter," and "shot" feel the sting of you considering them "amateurish."

Does this mean that I now have a Pre-Arranged Photographic Session Involving Persons Wishing To Have Electronic Digital Pixel or Silver Halide Emulsion Captures To Produce Electronic, Slide or Paper Positive Images Engagement instead of a photo shoot tomorrow? :D

If so I am going to up my rates. There are some $5 and $10 words in that one. That would be $150 & $200 words in Canadian currency. :lmao:

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled." Red Skelton

take-a-bow-1.gif

Last edited:
I guess I'm another one who doesn't "shoot".

When I'm doing camera work the task is "making exposures" or more formally "making photographic exposures". That's all that cameras can do: exposures not photographs. Whether a exposure becomes a photograph or not depends on what I do next. Since I mainly use 8x10 film virtually all my exposures become photographs in the darkroom.

I've always thought it curious that a totally passive and receptive device like a camera is thought to "shoot". It is the subject matter which is literally doing the "shooting". The subject matter is spraying you with photons that were moments before part of itself. These photons pepper you in your skin, clothes, face, and eyes. And they don't stop while the lights are on. Now if you open a camera shutter the subject matter will spray the sensor behind it too.

The camera never shoots; it only receives.

Objects do not "spray" photons... They absorb or reflect photons according to their wavelength.

But I think I will start to use the abbreviation: PAPSIPWTHEDPSHECTPESPPIE on all my communication to friends and clients!:lmao:

Most reactions

Back