"Shoot" and "Shot" and "Shooting"

Whadda ya mean "this morning"???? This thread is like two years old!!! It's from 2010, and somebody dug this one up!!!

newbies and their shovels! that's why I deleted it. I hoped you hadn't noticed it :)

so does this mean you *do* take Geritol?! :lmao:

Ohhh crap, since we've gone completely bonkers I guess we have to stop using "I took a picture" since I really didn't take anything. I made an image. :er:

Ohhh crap, since we've gone completely bonkers I guess we have to stop using "I took a picture" since I really didn't take anything. I made an image. :er:

On that note, I will stop "taking a leak", I will call it "leaving a leak".

Whoever brought this back to life should reconsider the amount of time spent on old threads.

Let it rest in peace!

On the contrary, I'd like to thank them for digging this up. I missed it the first time, as I wasn't yet a member here, and so, in my ignorance, I've just continued on, blithely using the terms "shoot" "shot" and "shooting" in reference to the photographic images that I was producing with my camera.
Well, that's not quite right either, as *I* am not the one producing the images; I'm just the shutter actuator. Well no, not that either--I push on that little button on the top of the camera, which in turn triggers...

Ah, never mind. I'm gonna go take a shot and then shoot something. :lol:

Seriously, what a highly entertaining thread. Shoot, I'd read it again. As soon as I finish watching this paint dry.

I *love* to use the term "shoot" to refer to photography--since I'm the "official unofficial photographer" for my employer, I sometimes, on a particularly frustrating day in the office, relieve some stress by grabbing the camera and going out to do some photography. I delight in telling my boss "I'm going out to shoot something..."
I nearly always mean photography. :D

My panties are in such a twist about this issue that I am sure they will have to be removed surgically.

Knowing the speed of the Canadian postal system, I would expect that it should arrive soon after the Hades freeze-over, sometime in late 2013.

Don't use general delivery overland service, you'll have to use the 'special speedy service' (S.S.S.) of our postal service un-provider if you wish for it to get here that quickly.

Having worked during a Christmas school break in the Canadian postal system despite the smell of pot during break periods, and having frequently done shoots in New Brunswick including this previous summer, I can appreciate and relate to the humour.

skieur

To each his own... I use those words, and I got an interesting side glance from an employee. I was checking out some cameras, yes, in Best Buy, and anyway, I told my husband, "I bet I could shoot people with this." My husband told the guy I was talking about taking photos. Got to watch were I use these terms.

Language is a series of sounds or images that convey a universally understood meaning. If I say "I shot a picture", the receiver understands my communication.

Using less professional terms or poor grammar can still communicate the message, but it can also communicate a lack of competence. I get that. BUT, there are a LOT of 'misnomers'. How many people call the part of their computer everything plugs into the "CPU"? The CPU is a component WITHIN that system. What about 'balls out' or 'balls to the wall', should you ONLY use those terms when referring to a 19th century steam engine that has reached it's maximum safe speed and thus the governor (two weighted balls attached to a valve that, when spun at a certain speed, will swing way out closing said valve and slowing the engine) is shutting it down? Or can you also use it for other exciting, near-the-limit, as-much-as-I-can-do type scenarios? Should we stop calling the machines we do post processing on 'computers' since that's a term that is more related to their earliest ancestors, should we instead call them "Graphical User Interface Aided Personal Computing and Software Executing Devices with advanced Input and Output capabilities?"

I do get where you are coming from. It's kind of like watching a movie and seeing the actor screw something up when it's something you are familiar with. Like when an actor fires a rifle placed UNDER their arm. That's not how a gun works, in fact, they'd have a bloody nose and a rifle 10 feet behind them in the dirt if they did that! Or when an actor fires an M1911 .45ACP, and calls it a 'glock' (In Hollywood, every pistol is a glock, every assault rifle is an AK-47, etc.) It's not REALLY a big deal, it's just annoying for a guy like me who likes to shoot (not cameras, guns, heh!), aka someone who understands the difference between a Glock (which is a brand anyway, not a single pistol) and the various other models and calibers of semi-automatic pistols.

Sometimes you just gotta let stuff go.

I almost died lauging after reading this thread. Are you serious? You care that people use the words shooting, shot and shoot? That is ridicolous. If you really care about photography a lot then I don't think you would care about the words people use. I use those words all the time and so do many proffesionals.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back