Shoot at prom...anyone ever?

Pallycow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was hired to shoot at a prom. Not by the school, but my a mother.

Going to cover at home before leaving, and arriving at prom. Two kids, one with a date, one going stag.

Going to get some getting ready shots, all dressed up and ready to go shots, entering vehicle, exiting vehicle, entry to prom, standard pose shots. Maybe some dancing or two.

The rest I think depends on the kids, I mean..I know at my prom I would not want a photog there.

I had a long discussion with mom, as to what she wanted and expected. She is familiar with me and my work through affiliation of the band I shoot regularly. She basically said for me to be creative as I usually am and she trusts what I come up with. While that is nice, and I like that people locally are trusting me to do my own thing and give them a great product...I don't know what else I should cover or make sure I include.

If anyone has ever done a prom such as this, for a parent, not the school...I'd be curious to see if I missed anything or should include anything to help capture the night.

I think I am obviously going to get the standard prom photos one would want, the rest I am going to treat like a wedding reception almost...sort of documentary shooting style.

any thoughts?

...and yes, mom already contacted school and I have permission and free range to be there. In fact, the school has a contract for me to go over as they are interested in having me shoot for the middle school (dances...sports...class pics...etc.)...and if all goes well..district events as well. So I'll cross my fingers on that. :)

Nice to see a school district that has the money to even think about doing something like hiring a photographer! I think your wedding reception analogy is spot-on (that was exactly what leaped into my head). Go with that, be creative.... should be fun.

What?! Hell no...lol There is noway I would of let my mom hire a photog to follow me around my prom...lol Did you get to meet the kiddos that are getting photographed? Are the kids into it?
Do you get to follow them to the after party too? :lol:

What?! Hell no...lol There is noway I would of let my mom hire a photog to follow me around my prom...lol Did you get to meet the kiddos that are getting photographed? Are the kids into it?
Do you get to follow them to the after party too? :lol:

lol....There will be no "de-flowering" coverage.

If I'm being honest, I don't want to be there all night. lol. I will meet the kids when I get there. I am usually great with kids...even teens, prbly because I still think like them. lol. I am not in their face...but rather let them approach me. I think once the formals are out of the way and they see a few of the shots...they'll either get the "bug" and warm up to it...or shy away...from there that will dictate how the night will go. I have no doubt the stag goer will want some fun group shots of friends and things like that.

I'll have a 70-200 2.8 on me so if need be I can hang back and still get some shots for mom.

I know the freshman will be all about it, and he has a date. The senior is the one I'm unsure of. But I'm not gonna let it stress me. If I just walk away with the standard formals for mom, it's a win. anything on top of that is bonus.

Nice to see a school district that has the money to even think about doing something like hiring a photographer! I think your wedding reception analogy is spot-on (that was exactly what leaped into my head). Go with that, be creative.... should be fun.

Thanks for confirmation of right mind thinking. lol. I figured that would be the best way to go.

As for the district, yeah...it's pretty neat. Who they use now, I won't get into names, is an affiliate of a national company, and they are not happy. Not so much with the cost, but the quality of product delivered. Which I find funny because when the stuff comes into work to get printed, we have to make a lot of corrections to it. I have heard through others, parents mostly, how they really don't care for the photos being done. So I understand their desire to seek local talent vs. a local under a national flag.

The cool thing is the expectations and time expectations. If what was said is true, I should be able to manage it on my timeframe, obviously working with the school, so as to not interfere with my full time job. Which is a bonus. Could just allow me the foundation I need of somewhat steady income to rely on for setting up this year. We'll see. All depends on the contract, which I'll get tonight.

Schools, around here, are notoriously cheap...so we'll see.

I shot a prom in like 1986... film, manual focus, and had requests for candid and posed / background type shots. But it was for the whole school, not just a couple of individuals. Yea... just treat it like a wedding reception, you will do fine. Be prepared for the usual adolescent hi-jinx, and lots of photo-bombing! lol!

Wow that's wild.

BTW, I had the "wedding reception analogy" pop into my head the second you mentioned it, too... so that makes sense to me, for whatever it's worth.

DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT an experienced prom photographer... though I have been to FIVE proms. I was such a hottie in high school. :)

Make sure to double check that you will not be having a problem shooting formals at the prom when there is already another photographer that's contracted to do that. Even if the school allows it there could be issues, so avoid using the set they are shooting on. Scout the prom location and perhaps have an alternate plan already in mind.

Make sure to double check that you will not be having a problem shooting formals at the prom when there is already another photographer that's contracted to do that. Even if the school allows it there could be issues, so avoid using the set they are shooting on. Scout the prom location and perhaps have an alternate plan already in mind.

Yeah, I was figuring someone would have a spot set up already, probly the best one. lol. I have my portable gear with me, lighting, brellas, stands, etc...so I can set up in a location away from him/her. Maybe even rake in a few side shots as well from passers-by. Moms on board with it, shooting some others for some quick cash...so that's a plus.

I shot a prom in like 1986... film, manual focus, and had requests for candid and posed / background type shots. But it was for the whole school, not just a couple of individuals. Yea... just treat it like a wedding reception, you will do fine. Be prepared for the usual adolescent hi-jinx, and lots of photo-bombing! lol!

Photo bomb ftw lol

Having two daughters, they liked hair, nails & shoe shots. The prom is more about getting ready than actually the event. :) May want to ask them if they want any shots with their friends at the event. That is wonderful that the mom is hiring a pro!

Be prepared for the usual adolescent hi-jinx, and lots of photo-bombing!
This is probably the biggest difference between this and a wedding reception. You will be dealing with a whole different dynamic. Lots of emotion and group shots. Documenting outfits and the usual prom bling will be a big deal as well. Here are a few shots that may help you.

$prom005.jpg $prom010.jpg $prom014.jpg $prom019.jpg $prom020.jpg $prom021.jpg $prom028.jpg $prom036.jpg

... and yes, that's sparkling grape juice in the limo. : )

This is probably the biggest difference between this and a wedding reception. You will be dealing with a whole different dynamic. Lots of emotion and group shots. Documenting outfits and the usual prom bling will be a big deal as well. Here are a few shots that may help you.

cool...thanks for the tips and pics.

I have been so busy last two days didn't have a chance to research event yet, finally did. I thought it was too early for prom, it's actually a Sno-Ball event. Which, locally is a a big deal like a prom anyway.

Most reactions

Back