Shoot calendar for free??

sbjamesphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I recently inquired about a photo opportunity posted through the Model Mayhem website. It turns out that it was a group of girls putting a bikini calendar together and needed a photographer to do the shoot. It is not a paid job. The only benefit is I would get the experience, and credit for the photos, however; the calendar and posters will be sold at different places like car shows. It would be great for exposure of some sort and I would have the photos to add to my portfolio (if I choose too since I am not really going after bikini modeling), but it doesn't seem fair that I wouldn't get paid for the money made off of the calendar since I am not getting paid to do the shoot. Is this something that normally happens in photography? I've been seriously shooting people for about a year and I've just recently started dealing with models. I can understand doing a shoot for "time for prints" or "time for cds" but I thought it was understood that there would be no money made off of such photos. Should I confront them with this if I am interested in taking the job or should I just turn her down.

Thanks for you help.

I do some photography for free but something like this I would definitely say no. For a calendar that is going to be a for-profit enterprise the photographer should definitely receive a fee.

Welcome to the forum.

If they (or someone) is making a profit off of the sales...then yes, I'd ask to be paid...and paid well. If it's for some charitable cause (not uncommon for calendars) then I would consider doing it for the experience/portfolio etc.

Also, do you think they are contacting you because they like your work...or are they just looking for someone to do it for free? If it's the latter...then you might want to avoid the headache and walk away.

Charge them double... then tell them you'll do it for half price

Unless it is for charity, no way.
Why should you donate your time and skills so they can make money.
They use the old line you will get photo credit, but if that is not your market, what good does it do you?
I would pass......

If it is not your market then decline. If it is something you are looking to get into free is a viable option. You have a great opportunity. 12 women in bikinis is a lot harder to pull off then you think. A great port on MM can work wonders for future opportunities.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
That's a BIG NO !! .. they can pay you for your time. There are way too many amateur models on model mayhem to choose from that will either let you shoot them for free or pay you to shoot them ... They only way I pay a model is if I am using them for a client project where a model budget has been justified.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back