Shoot for my Friend: Sarah

Jankster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Did a little shoot for a friend. i dont do a lot of people photography so im pretty new to this. im pretty happy with the way most of them came out. i know they arent amazing but im still learning :D C&C is always welcome and thanks for looking!

4252238262_0be2891f65.jpg

4252241308_1112b577a6.jpg

4252243910_061321c681.jpg

4252252248_cd58848dfd.jpg

4251771649_9515026432.jpg

I think she'll be pleased with your shots. She has lovely hair, by the way.

Personally it bothers me where her left eye is half-covered by her hair, it would have been better to keep it off the eyes completely.

Shooting in direct sunlight can give horrible, harsh shadows - but you've avoided this quite well. However on the third and fifth shots, reflecting (or flashing) a little more light into the shadow side of the face would have given a more flattering look.

The poses in the first three shots work great for me. In the fourth, her shoulders are turned too far from the camera putting some unflattering folds in her neck as she's had to turn her head and neck too far back toward the camera. If she'd sat the same way but with her head in profile view (to match the dog!) - perhaps looking into the distance - it would have looked more natural.

thanks for the feedback! i appreciate it. i was using my sb600 on camera for the first time shooting a person so i havent quite got the hang of it. ive still got a lot of work to do on my ppl shots!

I think you did an excellent job of synchro-sunlight work, especially for a beginner; I have seen much poorer work being sold by the new generation of "professional 'fata'gra'phers" shooting engagement,wedding,and family portraiture gigs. Seriously, very good synchro-sun light work!

The way you positioned her in relation to the sun was very well conceived. Give yourself a little back pat!!! Your flash exposures in relation to the daylight ambient were really good. Better than many "pros" turn out.

I'll comment on the first two photos and what I see as the most important thing that can be learned, and that is that shooting from close range with short focal length settings leads to exaggerated limbs and noses; on the first two shots, her nose looks a bit too large,and her arms and hands also look physically large compared to her feet. When the lens is short in length, and the camera-to-subject distance is close, you get a wide background angle of view, deep depth of field, AND foreshortening--and the foreshortening is making her features look exaggerated. In the first shot, look at her head, and then her feet; that size disparity is not really attractive in a glamour shot like this. Had you shot this from 20 feet away with the 55-200 set to 175mm-180mm, the shot would have been outstanding. The background would have been narrower in angle of view BUT you would have also had roughly the same DOF on her head-to-foot zone, due to the longer camera to subject distance, but the background would have been a bit more subdued.

Still--a terrific job with the fill-in flash in what is called synchro-sunlight work.

i like the shots, but her outfit is dreadful IMO... it makes her look 10 pounds heavier.... if jessica simpson can't rock high waisted pants with a belt, i don't think anyone can... lol!

i agree with iolair... gorgeous hair!

I think you did an excellent job of synchro-sunlight work, especially for a beginner; I have seen much poorer work being sold by the new generation of "professional 'fata'gra'phers" shooting engagement,wedding,and family portraiture gigs. Seriously, very good synchro-sun light work!

The way you positioned her in relation to the sun was very well conceived. Give yourself a little back pat!!! Your flash exposures in relation to the daylight ambient were really good. Better than many "pros" turn out.

I'll comment on the first two photos and what I see as the most important thing that can be learned, and that is that shooting from close range with short focal length settings leads to exaggerated limbs and noses; on the first two shots, her nose looks a bit too large,and her arms and hands also look physically large compared to her feet. When the lens is short in length, and the camera-to-subject distance is close, you get a wide background angle of view, deep depth of field, AND foreshortening--and the foreshortening is making her features look exaggerated. In the first shot, look at her head, and then her feet; that size disparity is not really attractive in a glamour shot like this. Had you shot this from 20 feet away with the 55-200 set to 175mm-180mm, the shot would have been outstanding. The background would have been narrower in angle of view BUT you would have also had roughly the same DOF on her head-to-foot zone, due to the longer camera to subject distance, but the background would have been a bit more subdued.

Still--a terrific job with the fill-in flash in what is called synchro-sunlight work.

thank you for this feedback it makes a lot of sense! and thank you for the kind words i appreciate it!

thanks for the comments everyone!

#2 is excellent, she looks lovely in that one.

Most reactions

Back