Shoot that arrow!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photoparsec.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot the same day I took my cricket photos, so I have a lot to learn still, This was the only shot of 100+ that I managed to get the arrow in the shot in flight, not an easy thing to do when your in anticipation. This is a close up shot, I have others with the archer in full view, but I wanted to capture the release. please give me some ideas on the quality of the image.

SG101201.jpg

File
Name SG101201.JPG

Modified 10/6/2007 2:25:34 PM
Image Attributes
Format JPEG interchanged
Compression Baseline JPEG
Dimensions 3872x2592 (10.0 MP)
Bit Depth 24
EXIF Metadata
Manufacturer SAMSUNG TECHWIN Co.
Model SAMSUNG GX10
Orientation of image Normal
Software used GX10 Ver 1.00
File change date/time 2007:10:06 14:25:33
Y and C positioning Co-Sited
Exposure time 1/1000
F number 8
Exposure program Manual
ISO speed ratings 400
Exposure bias 0
Metering mode Multi
Flash Flash off
Lens focal length 210
Color space information sRGB
Valid image width 3872
Valid image height 2592
Exposure mode Manual
White balance Manual WB
Focal length in 35 mm film 315
Scene capture type Standard
Sharpness Normal

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the angle being difficult? This photo is the original, I haven't edited it, if I had I would have edited out the two objects out of place. It was difficult to take without those in place as there were 50 other archers side by side, I had to make do with what I had.

I'm trying to improve my shot making abilities, I would appreciate any advice from anyone. How could I have made this shot better?

1. I couldn't get a front on shot due to safety reasons.
2. I couldn't get a good enough angle for close up shot showing the arrow firing away, with the target in view.

Mean to say that his shoulder and arm are strange. I am seeing more of a cutoff as opposed to muscles flexed. Saying I could not is a no no in photography and life in general. There is always a way to get the shot.

Love & Bass

the most disappointing thing about the sequence of shots I got, the one in which I got the arrow flying, the other guy got in the way, the previous shots were clean. I guess you are right, I was only there for 10 minutes. Had I have stayed I may have got the better shot.

Would you say a shot at 45d would have been better? or even a side on shot?

Anything but the back of the head would be my approach. These guys are serious athletes. They have a super strong intensity in the face and arms. I would try and capture that. I think it is rare that they miss so do not be afraid to get in there.

Love & Bass

thats what I wanted to do..........I was walking toward the archers ready to start shooting, and some lady yelling out to me asking me what the hell I was doing. Then I was told I could take photos, but could not under any circumstances move past the shooters. maybe I coud set up the camera on a tripodnext to the target facing the shooter, and use a remote control. Could be an idea.

the angle is a bit awkward for me (besides shooting the back of his head) as the target that is in view, doesn't look like the target that he's shooting at. on top of that i don't see an arrow anywhere, or even the string that's been released. if you can't get the arrow in flight, at least have it in the target.

but i guess these things work against each other in regards to showing more of the archers face/musculature (which i agree with) and showing the target which would be behind you the photographer.

here's a shot of an archer with a lot of musculature showing: :D

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-04-05/adam-bodyworlds/Archer.jpg/asset.jpg

This is yet another example of a shot that could have been made considerably better simply by rotating the camera 90 degrees. Horizontally, there are distracting elements (shadow, blue widget) and a lot/too much wasted space that does nothing for the photo. Also a vertical format would explain where in the heck the arrows at the bottom of the image are sticking. Right now they look to imply some type of sado-masochistic arrangement.

Haha......um yeah, I have a lot to take in for this photo.

I have others which don't have so many distractions, but I liked this one because of the Arrow coming out of the bow. It's clearly visible, I'm not sure how you couldn't see it.

Abraxis, I agree fully, If I go down there this weekend, I will make an attempt at a side on shot.

I think I can improve on this shot greatly. the facial expressions would be a great addition. What do you mean about shadows?

I'm thinking if I create a vertical shot, I will get most of the archer in the shot, and less of the distracting elements. Again thanks for the comments, If I fail, I can go back to the drawing board and give it another go.
I think instead of trying to get the target and archer in the shot, I should focus on the archer, to make it a complete photo. Lets hope I can get some good shots. I'm doing some golf, cricket too.

aside from the distractions how is the lighting and colour in the photo?

Well this is a tuff one, and easy to back seat drive on.. but remember none of us were there... my first thought was more side angle , but you answered that POV in upper comment... I guess for me the Horizontal format doesn't work , or just feels to centered... My eyes are drawn first to the target.. perhaps after further review, I would notice the arrow...

I just think , and wonder if in your other shots you took some Verticals.. Limit the viewers choice here , and let them be drawn to the Arrow, without looking around the unneeded space of a horizontal..

a side angle would have worked better in my opinion, but if you were limited by the set-up/safety then its difficult.

i dont think that the target needs to be in the frame for the shot to be successful. in this shot is the target even the target he was shooting at? it looks as though it may have been the target to the right of him.

Most reactions

Back