Shoot the Moon

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those of you who didn't know... the moon is at its "largest" tonight! So take out your tripod and your long lens, zoom in and shoot the moon!

I wise man once told me to shoot the moon at F8. Get out there and have fun!

For those of you who didn't know... the moon is at its "largest" tonight! So take out your tripod and your long lens, zoom in and shoot the moon!

Shoot the moon as you'd shoot any other daylight scene. After all, is IS sunlit, isn't it?

Shoot the moon as you'd shoot any other daylight scene. After all, is IS sunlit, isn't it?

Indeed.. I've even been able to shoot it without a tripod. :)

I'll try again around dawn tomorrow. 200mm doesn't cut it right now.

Also, waited too late to shoot anything in the foreground without blowing out the moon.

When is the moon overly large? Tonight is noticeably larger than last night but Ive seen it larger. Anyone know what time a year when it's super sized?

June 23rd is supposed to be the official date for the super moon.. won't be that close to earth again until august 2014.

The average angular size of the moon is the same as a dime placed 6' 4-1/4" away from your eye. A super-moon is the same angular size of a dime placed 6' 4-1/8" away.

Whoopie. :er:

The average angular size of the moon is the same as a dime placed 6' 4-1/4" away from your eye. A super-moon is the same angular size of a dime placed 6' 4-1/8" away.

OIC, I'm talking about the Moon Ilusion, where the moon seems 10X larger on the horizon than it does during the normal sky.

OIC, I'm talking about the Moon Ilusion, where the moon seems 10X larger on the horizon than it does during the normal sky.

Doesn't change how you photograph it, though.

Including zoom?

I see more details with the naked eye during a Horizontal Moon Ilusion than I see during a Super moon using an 18-200mm.

Including zoom?

I see more details with the naked eye during a Horizontal Moon Ilusion than I see during a Super moon using an 18-200mm.

The moon isn't angularly larger near the horizon. It's the same size as it is anywhere else in the sky. If you shoot it with a 500mm at the horizon, it will fill the frame just as much as if you wait until it's at the meridian.

I seriously doubt you can see more detail on the moon when it's near the horizon since you're looking through such a much thicker slice of the earth's atmosphere.

Including zoom?

The moon isn't angularly larger near the horizon. It's the same size as it is anywhere else in the sky. If you shoot it with a 500mm at the horizon, it will fill the frame just as much as if you wait until it's at the meridian.

I seriously doubt you can see more detail on the moon when it's near the horizon since you're looking through such a much thicker slice of the earth's atmosphere.

Thats what I hear, still, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

This is the best I could do with me D3200 at 300mm

Also, for an image like this how would you guys crop it? Dead center?
Seeing as there isnt really anything else in the shot I cant see a reason not to.

Also, you can really bring out a lot more detail in post. Bumping up the darks and clarity in lightroom added a lot to it imo.
$2rs0.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back