"Shoot this group event for us, and bring your professional camera"

Raj, think of it as street shooting, with subjects that won't (hopefully) run away, and will smile in your direction. Also don't discount the blackmail possibilities of really bad poses/faces.
Thanks Paul, that's what bothers me. Street photography is something I can relate to as it's actually very much like photographing wildlife. The subjects do what they are doing, unaware of my camera, and so I can make a very natural looking photograph out of it!

The problem for me starts when people start posing, that's an entirely new universe for me.. :meh:

I agree with you totally. It's why I can get pretty nice pictures of my kids, and sometimes other peoples' kids. They're like wildlife conditioned to the camera (which is nearly always on my hip or at my eye), doing their thing, ignoring me. Even portraits, I get the shot all ready and then call their name to get their attention, and click. Adults and posing is just awkward.

Your f2.8-4 from pixmedic is better than my f/4-5.6 zoom, so it's a middle ground on the 1.8 prime. Go take some indoor shots! They're frustrating, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

That sounds like an almost believable strategy, Sharon, except that it comes from someone who has her photography on the city buses and billboards. I think you've earned your "professional" wings by now.

Raj, think of it as street shooting, with subjects that won't (hopefully) run away, and will smile in your direction. Also don't discount the blackmail possibilities of really bad poses/faces. :lol:

SHHHHH!!!!! We don't talk about THAT, Pgriz, when I'm trying desperately to sell myself short and talk people OUT of making me do portrait photography!! :lmao:
If I told them I'd had PEOPLE photos appear on billboards…well, I'd probably spontaneously combust from the pressure of all those expectations they'd suddenly have!
No, no, no, it's FAR better not to talk about billboards and bus ads, and just concentrate on getting across to them that I might just deliver horrible photos. :D FAR less pressure that way!
Of course, MOST of them already KNOW about the billboard thing anyway, because they're my friends (or at least acquaintances), but I don't have to REMIND them of it when I'm doing my shortsell speech!

What city bus? Which billboard? Which pictures? Why don't I know about this? :-x

I think that was during one of your absences, when Sharon got her pictures printed and put on buses and billboards for the bus ridership encouragement program (or some such thing - Sharon can correct my tenuous grasp of the actual facts :blushing: ). There's a thread hanging about maybe 6 months ago when Sharon told us of having this honour, and showed us some of the images...

Raj, look here. I was quite silly with excitement about it at the time, but now, suddenly, I see how I may just have stepped out onto a very slippery precipice, if people are gonna start claiming I've got my "professional wings" now and EXPECTING ridiculous things like QUALITY. :lmao:

Side note: We just did another little mini-campaign (just the outside bus-wrap ads, not billboards) using the same photos, and I'm still just a little bit pleased with myself. :D It's just that EVERY time I do a shoot, I sort of expect it to be a dismal failure, so I'm always shocked when it actually turns out better than a one-armed drunken monkey with a camera could do. :lol:

Sharon, I think it is safe to say that the majority of TPF regulars will say they prefer your version of self-deprecating quiet competence to the self-aggrandizing bravado of many "professional" incompetents. So stop trying to hide. We know you. You can't fool us any more. :hug::

Raj, just take a few direct-flash photos at the beginning and show them to the "victims". That'll take care of crushing expectations. THEN do the nice shots
you're capable of... and you'll be a hero! (IF you want to be one. If you never want to be asked again - continue with the direct flash shots. :D ).
I'll just continue with the flash thank you!! :mrgreen: :lmao:.. And thanks so much for letting me know about Sharons little secret, this thread actually turned out to be useful :p

Welcome to the SUCKER club :) :) You will do fine. I love the idea about lowering expectations. Maybe even destroying them.
I will not show pity nor be sorry nor have compassion so as not to destroy them. - oh wait, wrong forum! :lmao: I think I like pauls idea of flash photographs, I think I've only ever taken about five photographs where I've used flash; they're bound to come out poor..

I agree with you totally. It's why I can get pretty nice pictures of my kids, and sometimes other peoples' kids. They're like wildlife conditioned to the camera (which is nearly always on my hip or at my eye), doing their thing, ignoring me. Even portraits, I get the shot all ready and then call their name to get their attention, and click. Adults and posing is just awkward.
Egg-zactly! And it's even more difficult when more than one of them are involved, it's impossible for me to get them all to smile or keep their eyes open at the same time. I think I'll give it a little practice before the actual event.

if people are gonna start claiming I've got my "professional wings" now and EXPECTING ridiculous things like QUALITY. :lmao: Side note: We just did another little mini-campaign (just the outside bus-wrap ads, not billboards) using the same photos, and I'm still just a little bit pleased with myself. :D It's just that EVERY time I do a shoot, I sort of expect it to be a dismal failure, so I'm always shocked when it actually turns out better than a one-armed drunken monkey with a camera could do. :lol:
Yes, right! never heard of it :p :lmao: :lmao: Many congratulations on getting yet another campaign, looking at your last pictures I know why! I don't think you can duck from that "professional" title anymore Sharon but you do owe me a treat! :D BTW did you get that D7100 yet?

Sharon, I think it is safe to say that the majority of TPF regulars will say they prefer your version of self-deprecating quiet competence to the self-aggrandizing bravado of many "professional" incompetents. So stop trying to hide. We know you. You can't fool us any more. :hug::

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you do get roped into it.....and you need a "professional" camera.....just get a shiny marker and draw an extra 0 at the end of whatever camera number you have.....the more 0's the better, right? ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back