Shooting a concert..

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright well a friend of mine is having a concert for her music here pretty shortly (July 3rd). I have a D80 with the kit 18-135mm and I know this is far from what I want to use for shooting a concert, but my question is with a 28mm 1.4 (of 2.8) would the D80 atleast do decent?

I'm going to be renting the 28mm lens, or I might rent a 50mm as well, so I'm just trying to figure out what I am going to need to get. Would getting a flash be a good idea too?

I've got alot of questions/concerns and just not sure what needs to be asked, so pretty much any input is helpful! Thanks!

28mm.. f/1.4 would come in handy for sure. But it's a little wide. 50mm might be better, unless you're super close up or want to be wide.

Flash? No. Not only is it annoying, to everyone AND the band - but why mess with the awesome lighting at a concert?

I don't shoot music, I've only done it once. Here's a snap from my 50mm 1.8. Much better to use available light. It was just a local thing, under a tent. There was another guy there snapping with a point and shoot with flash and I think someone threw him out.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/4662556262_71bf90a148_b.jpg

Wow, that's a really good picture. I will have to get the 50mm.. and possibly the 28mm we will see what I decide on. HOpefulyl I can take some good pictures like that one.

If you know the venue, you can be better prepared. The 85mm 1.8 is a rockstar and you might want to get in tight or shoot from the back of the room. The 24 and 50 are a good place to start if it's a small place.

Most reactions

Back