Shooting a horse show tomorrow, have some questions.

bevoholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stephenanthonyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's just for fun, so no pressure on me, which is good because I'm not at that level yet, but I have a few questions. It will either be completely indoors or partially covered, but it is lighted, but I know for a fact that I won't be able to set up a tripod or an OCF. My main question is what lens to use. I have the kit lens 18-55mm, my 70-300 Sigma, an my 50mm f/1.8. I'm not sure I'll be close enough to get much use out of the 50mm, so which would you guys recommend...

18-55mm or the 70-300? Also, I'm pretty sure I'll need to be around 1/500 or faster to stop the action. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Totally depends on lighting. Don't use the 18-55, as if your close enough your better served with the 50.

However, you might be too far back for those as you've said, and the 70-300 may not let in enough light. Totally depends on the location your shooting from and the lighting there. Bring them all and see what works best.

I'm hoping I can get close enough to use the 50mm. It's definitely my favorite lens out of the bunch. If not hopefully I'll be able to use the 70-300mm.

Even if you can get close enough to use your 50mm which i dought very much you need to be at minimum F4 -F5.6 to get enough DOF for horse and rider also if it is indoors you will have to be at minimum iso1600 maybe iso3200 it may look light to your eye but it is not to your camera, i shoot horse events with a 300F2.8L and 70-200 so the only lens that is long enough is the 70-300 but i wouldn't want to be stuck with that lens indoors

Also if you're shooting close a 50mm can (so I've read) cause perspective problems where the body of the horse is (comparaivly speaking) a lot closer than the middle of its back - so it can appear a lot fatter than it actually is - shooting with longer lenses reduces this effect because once you're further away the comparative difference in the distance becomes a lot less.

Also you might find some of the following thread of a help with focusing:
Flickr: Discussing Action Photos - How to get the framing right? in Canon DSLR User Group
there are also some equine based photography hints/tips in there as well

Also if you're shooting close a 50mm can (so I've read) cause perspective problems where the body of the horse is (comparaivly speaking) a lot closer than the middle of its back - so it can appear a lot fatter than it actually is - shooting with longer lenses reduces this effect because once you're further away the comparative difference in the distance becomes a lot less.

Also you might find some of the following thread of a help with focusing:
Flickr: Discussing Action Photos - How to get the framing right? in Canon DSLR User Group
there are also some equine based photography hints/tips in there as well

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go shoot because the building they were using got double booked so at the last minute last night they decided to move the event to the outdoor arena, and then this morning...I woke up to pouring rain and thunderstorms....

What arena? What show? the 70-300 wont work inside without ocf. We were at a show in Abilene this last weekend, there indoor pen was not enough with my 28-135. seemed like alot of my shots were around the ~100mm range. The indoor pen is 100x200, I was around the 1/3 length from the ends when I was taking shots of the working cow classes, but still not enough light. I really want to try a 85mm 1.8 and a flash to see if I can get enough there, doors and venting on the off side of the arena are your enemy! We are showing in Ardmore in 3 weeks and I am hoping to maybe rent a 85mm 1.8 and buy a decent flash to have on the camera. I can not babysit my gear enough and show to have OCF plus that show will most likely have a pro there also.

anybody have any thoughts on the 85mm 1.8 for this??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back