Shooting an inside event - Flash?

Kirsty_koch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am new here, also fairly new to photography.
I am shooting a Deb ball next month (most of the photographs will be taken inside) and am wondering if I should shoot with the flash?
I will be borrowing a 24-70 F2.8 for the occasion but probably won't be borrowing a flash for it, so will just have the onboard one on the Canon 40D.
Is there something I can do to make my flash less hard on the photos? I don't really like the look of flash in many photos, but am worried about how much lighting will be in the building where the event is held.
Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.

The first question is whether flash will even be allowed at the event. I would say that if you can, you'll want an external flash just in case, but if you have to go with your on-camera flash, then practice with some tisse over it to act as a diffuser. A 2.8 lens is fast enough that you should do all right unless it's really dark. Don't forget to bring lots of memory and spare batteries.

Good luck!

If you can, try to get a hold of a 430EX and maybe a Gary Fong Lightsphere or a homemade flash diffuser (easy to make). Pack lots of AA batteries.

I realize this can be expensive, but if you can swing it, a hot-shoe flash used the right way will provide significantly better results than your onboard one.

the flash can be an amazing tool when shooting indoors. i would take one just in case.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, use flash but I would strongly suggest getting a accessory/hotshoe flash. The ability to bounce the flash off of a wall or ceiling will improve your photos dramatically.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, use flash but I would strongly suggest getting a accessory/hotshoe flash. The ability to bounce the flash off of a wall or ceiling will improve your photos dramatically.
yep

Thanks heaps for your help guys, I reckon I will also hire a flash then as well as the lens. So how do I make the homemade flash diffuser? Or whereabouts can I buy the flash diffuser mentioned above?
Hate to just rock up into the forum and ask so many questions... I have been hanging round for a while just reading, its amazing how much you can learn from everyone - most of what I now know I have learnt from you guys so thanks!

a stofen flash difuser is like 10-15 bux one ebay.

Actually do I need a flash diffuser with the external flash or is it mostly for if you use the on camera flash?

Actually do I need a flash diffuser with the external flash or is it mostly for if you use the on camera flash?

A diffuser is always good to have, esp if you need to use the flash for fill light for groups, portraits etc. It doesn't have to be expensive, thin translucent plastic, or even tissue paper will do the trick ('though you need to practice with this and keep an eye on your exposures)

Simply putting plastic or paper over the flash isn't going to make the light any softer...that's a common myth. The softness of the light is determined by the size of the source and the distance from the subject. So just putting something over the head of the flash, won't really enlarge the size of it, so all it does is steal some of the light, making the flash work harder.

A better idea is to bounce the light by tilting the flash head up or to the side or even behind you....depending on the size, shape and color of the room you are in.

A lot of the flash accesories on the market, are actually meant to be used while the flash is being bounced. They divert some of the light forward while most of it is left to bounce. A simple 'bounce card' can do this just as well.

I don't suggest buying/using flash accesories unless you know what situations they will work for and what they won't. You are better off just using the flash by itself...even if you just point it directly at your subjects. Just keep an eye on the shots and adjust your FEC (flash exposure compensation) to suit.

if you rent a 580IIex, theres a built in diffuser and bounce card that pulls out of the top. im not sure about the others.

Most reactions

Back