Shooting and Developing Medium Format Film

pendennis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After "lapsing" back into film. I've been shooting transparencies, and scanning them to digital using my Epson V850.

Color film seems to be calling, now. I'd like to do the same with negatives.

What are your opinions in having negative film developed only, scanning them, and printing only from my Canon Pro 100 printer? No replies are "wrong". Just want to get an idea of what you like to do.

That's what I would do with color. If you're gonna print big, I think eight ink cartridges is the minimum I would want. Canon makes very good printers.

Yup, what Gary said. This is essentially what I do. My boyfriend and I share a scanner and Canon printer (can't remember the model, but it has 8 inks). We've been happy with the results.

I also send negatives to be printed at adoramapix.com sometimes if I want different kinds of prints.

Check out Inkjet Photographic Papers Premium Photo Paper by Red River for some good inkjet photo paper.

I do it all the time. Just make sure you have the right color profile and your screen calibrated

I use Hahnemuhle fine art baryta. Ive tested and used a couple dozen photos papers and can say not to go with cheap paper. My next favorite is Epson.

I print from a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II

I'm scanning B&W negs now and plan to start soon on E-6 (probably Velvia 50). Still looking for a better printer, though.

You have a great scanner so I see no flaws in your process. The labs around me will do a "just process" package and give you the negs back for a reasonable price. BW you can dev at home and scan it yourself. c-41 (from my research) has less leeway when it comes to temperature range can can be hard to do at home. Chances are you scanner is as good as what most labs use.

Dave

After "lapsing" back into film. I've been shooting transparencies, and scanning them to digital using my Epson V850.

Color film seems to be calling, now. I'd like to do the same with negatives.

What are your opinions in having negative film developed only, scanning them, and printing only from my Canon Pro 100 printer? No replies are "wrong". Just want to get an idea of what you like to do.

I'm doing essentially the same thing. My Epson scanner is a couple generations removed from current offerings -- a 4990 -- but it handles medium and large format very well. I scan my MF negs and slides at 2400 ppi, which gives me plenty of good detail.

As for printing, I recently bought a Canon Pixma ix6820, which I bought because it supports the large 13x19 format. It has only 4 ink cartridges, though. I haven't done much printing with it yet, but I think that, for my purposes, it should work fine. I bought it to replace a Brother all-in-one that did a surprisingly good job at printing color photos. But if I want a better quality print -- without having to spend a lot -- I just take my image files to Costco and have them print enlargements on this big Epson they use. I'm not sure which model it is, but it looks something like the Epson SureColor P10000 or P20000 9-color models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back