Shooting at sports events?

CraigDouglas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got tickets to an international cricket match for this comming saturday (England vs W.Indies) at which I was really looking forward to trying out my new lens (70-200L f/4), but i've found out that they don't allow people to take cameras in without "Proper accreditation".

I phoned up to double check and they said it would be confiscated at the entrance if I took it. Is this normal at big sports events? I assume its so that they can charge the press money for the ability to take photos there?

I'm still awaiting a reply to an email I sent the place to find out what "proper accreditation" is and how to go about getting it.

Does anyone shoot at big sports events and if so, how did you get accreditation? I'm a big fan of cricket and this is my first international so was hoping to get some good shots of my favourite players :(

Thanks in advance :)

Yeah this is perfectly natural for such events. Welcome to photography, the more money you spend on a camera the more places you'll get kicked out of.

I've got tickets to an international cricket match for this comming saturday (England vs W.Indies) at which I was really looking forward to trying out my new lens (70-200L f/4), but i've found out that they don't allow people to take cameras in without "Proper accreditation".

I phoned up to double check and they said it would be confiscated at the entrance if I took it. Is this normal at big sports events? I assume its so that they can charge the press money for the ability to take photos there?

I'm still awaiting a reply to an email I sent the place to find out what "proper accreditation" is and how to go about getting it.

Does anyone shoot at big sports events and if so, how did you get accreditation? I'm a big fan of cricket and this is my first international so was hoping to get some good shots of my favourite players :(

Thanks in advance :)

I've sneaked my camera into a few events but the larger the lens the harder it is.

Accreditation is normally by way of a press pass. If you've not done this before, it's not easy unless you have contacts.

You could try to sneak it in but be prepared to walk back to the car if you don't get it in! It will be the same at most major events like this.

I'm quite suprised at this. Think i'm going to do that JD, just try sneak it in.

Cheers :)

BTW... you sneak it in, get caught taking pictures inside, they will ask you to leave and not let you back in... it is a quick way to turn an interesting/exciting day into a boring one.

All major events are usually copyrighted... good luck trying to get permission.

if you sneak it in, bring the cheapest memoy card you have. Also make sure you dont have any important pictures on your card, that you haven't backed up yet. Security once made me format my memory card in front of them. I've also had my memory card taken by security, along with battery. Pissed me off, but better than losing the camera, which they have the right to take as well.

if you sneak it in, bring the cheapest memoy card you have. Also make sure you dont have any important pictures on your card, that you haven't backed up yet. Security once made me format my memory card in front of them. I've also had my memory card taken by security, along with battery. Pissed me off, but better than losing the camera, which they have the right to take as well.
Noone has the "right" to take anything from you. in legal terms its called stealing.
What they can do is confiscate it, and give you it back at the end of the event if your prepaired to stick around.

Generally Security people at large events (in the UK) couldnt give a toss about photographers, unless they are having a REALLY bad day. sneaking in is an option, or blagging it. I know plenty of photographers who have got into gigs/sports events by blagging their way in.

Its harder to sneak in a larger lens, but by showing it off to a security guard who knows squat about photography, and kicking up a fuss, they generally let you in.
in their eyes its easier to let you in with £1000+ worth of camera gear without a fuss than standing arguing with you for half an hour meanwhile all hell breaks lose and they have twice as much to deal with.

Iv got into SSSOOOOO many gigs becuase of my camera i think its paid for itself :D hehe

I've sneaked my camera into a few events but the larger the lens the harder it is.

You could try to sneak it in but be prepared to walk back to the car if you don't get it in! It will be the same at most major events like this.

50mm lens on the camera, 70-200L f/2.8 in the wifes pocketbook. :lmao:

I was thinking a good way to sneak it in, if its cold, if it was hot they would think you were crazy. Put the lens in the sleeve of a jacket and then wrap the jacket all around the sleeve and then stuff it in the bottom of the bag with another sweater or 2 on top. Usually at sporting events there are so many people they don't have time to really look so a quick flash of a couple jackets for when it cools down should let you in.

I'd skip the hood, no reason to add and extra 2 inches to it.

I'm thinking the 70-200L might fit in a pringles tube (thats a tube of crisps if you don't have them in the US) then hide the camera in a pocket or something.

I think my plan is basically look at how strictly they search, then weigh up whether its worth trying to get in with it.

The thing is, with the latest attempted attacks in UK, and with it being the 2nd anniversary of 7/7, they might have higher security than usual :(

I was thinking a good way to sneak it in, if its cold, if it was hot they would think you were crazy. Put the lens in the sleeve of a jacket and then wrap the jacket all around the sleeve and then stuff it in the bottom of the bag with another sweater or 2 on top. Usually at sporting events there are so many people they don't have time to really look so a quick flash of a couple jackets for when it cools down should let you in.

I'd skip the hood, no reason to add and extra 2 inches to it.

Jacket with camera (with lens - i use a 70-200 f2.8L IS) draped over shoulder and lens leaning in towards your back.......

Or camera over shoulder - no lens and lens in the wife's bag or strapped to the inside of your arm.

I've gotten into a concert with the lens in my girlfriend's bag and regularly get into football matches with my 20D and 70-200 f2.8L IS.

I sometimes decide I'm not taking it though as I'd probably not want to miss the concert/match because I'd not leave the gear unattended in my car - although it is insured!

Bit of good news :D

The formally-worded email I sent a couple of days ago to the venue has just been replied to by the ticket office manager saying that I'm allowed to take my personal camera. I now have it in writing that i'm allowed to take it so i'm printing that out and taking it with me :D

Congrats Craig! A friend of mine has great seats to the Yankees (NYC baseball team), and I brought my Canon AE-1 in with me last week. It had a 28mm on the front and I put the 135mm in my girlfriend's purse. Nobody gave us trouble so I might trying taking in the big dog, my 30D in next time I go.

Oh, Killcrazy, what is "blagging"?

Damn I thought this was gonna be a mission impossible but you went a head and got permission. I really like the pringles can idea... I may use this if needed....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back