Shooting Billboards

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So far I've been mostly doing smaller output such as web, newspapers, magazines and the occasional poster. I was recently hired to do some photographs for Billboard advertising.

I was wondering if the pros in this forum have any experience shooting for billboards. Are there any unusual considerations to be aware of? I would definitely hate to screw up this break so are there any issues I should be concerned about?

The pictures will be a series of portraits on a simple grey background. Cleanly lit. Likely using Clamshell lighting but am tempted to use the AlienBees ringlight with the Moon unit (30").

moved? I thought General Talk shop is for This is the place for you. Discuss marketing, pricing, legal issues and other ideas relating to the business of photography.

I have only seen a photo shoot for a billboard once. I was an assistant. We used a Contax 645 with a digital back. The thing to remember is billboard are seen from a long way off so I think they are printed at like 25 or 35dpi. We had to give the designer a file at 300ppi (I forget the actual size). Check with the printer or designer they should be giving you the specs you need. If your equipment can't do what they need you rent what you need.

They have programs to resize the images for billboards if you dont have the mp's. Not really that big a deal.

Yeah, I will be shooting with a 12.1MP camera. That should be way adequate. Any one with experience doing billboards have any not immediately apparent considerations?

Most reactions

Back