Shooting cars for sale. What is the best lens for this?

Sealover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon EOS Rebel T4i and I am about to start shooting photos of cars for sale, at a large dealership.
The current images they have are crap. Think $40 camera with super bright sun! :lol:

I know that photos are very important in this industry and a bad looking photo of a car, will keep you from coming to see it in person.

I searched the web to find images of the style I am wanting to shoot. I just need some guidance. I don't want to waste a load of money on things I don't need.
I found this forum and knew I found the right set of people to ask this question.

I attached some photos of the style I am wanting to use. Along with this link. I love these photos.
< Attached photos removed >

Infiniti FX37 in Orange Leather (Gallery Photo #1)

I appreciate any advice, information you can provide me. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it you have no experience with this type of shooting? Lighting is going to be more important than what LENS you use. Knowing how to maintain GOOD DOF will be important too.... and you will need to avoid distortion (or know how to correct it in post).

You are absolutely correct! I have not shot anything like this before. I generally do wildlife, so I know it is a totally different. All of the cars will be outside in normal sunlight, not extra lighting will be used. There are hundreds of cars so trying to do lighting effects would take forever and a Monday to make happen. I do know that some of the pics I posted are photoshopped and are utilizing professional lighting. I just want the type of layout the shots are giving, like the full dash and cockpit view. The exterior photos to me looks like a wide angle lens was used, just not sure what kind. Maybe a UWA lens inside the car? I do understand the DOF and totally agree with distortion.

WHats your equipment lineup like? Lens collection? Lets start there and see what we can recommend for you.

WHats your equipment lineup like? Lens collection? Lets start there and see what we can recommend for you.

Since I shoot wildlife photos everything I have is long range. With the exception of 18-55 IS lens that came with the camera. So I know I will need to buy something and don't mind having to buy a couple of lenses. I mean I can always use them for other things as they come along.

Shooting outside in "Normal" Daylight? That will mean that exterior shots will have overexposed highlights and underexposed shadows. It is not as easy as you seem to think it is.

Interior shots will all have overexposed areas where the sun hits (dashes, seats, etc... and underexposed areas in the shadows... unless you compensate.

HDR / LDR (multiple exposure fusion) can be used successfully for this type of shooting, but you have to know what you are doing.. and minimize the bad contrasts to start with (Just stay away from Tone Mapping, as you want REALISM!)

Check out my Flickr at www.flickr.com/suicidnS13 and check out all my automotive work. All my lenses used are listed in the images tags and the exif info is there. Personally I use all primes and of varying FL's. but for standard cars.com photos I'd recommend a standard UWA for all the images. A 17-40 on FF or 10-22 on crop would be perfect.

I strongly believe the kit lens will do a nice job. The photos (link) you posted. Looks like it was taken in a cloudy day which is good since the cloud diffuse the light. It it was sunny day at noon time, I think the result will look totally different. Even if you use a $6000 camera with $2000 lens. When the car in the photo looks good, most of time is the result of good lighting. (And of course, the most important part -> experience).

But of course, once you master other aspects, a better lens MAY make a different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back