Shooting during the rain

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
I read an article by a PJ a while ago about how he was shooting a speech and it started to rain. So he put his nikon in his water-proof bag and shot the rest of it with a Leica MP.

So how does this work? If rain or water got on the film that was going to be exposed would it produce different results?

I dont think its a question of the rains effect on the film, but rather its effect on the camera body. If it was a modern/electronicaly operated nikon then prerhaps its parts might not withstand what those of a mechanicaly operated Leica might.

That sounds about right to me. I suspect that my Fed 3 woiuld continue to operate in rain longer than, say, a Canon 30D. Or snow, for that matter.

The Leica MP is a 100% mechanical camera. If he'd been using a Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n, or a Pentax K1000 for that matter, he could have kept shooting too, but he probably had a fancy Nikon F5 or F6 (or probably digital, I guess). Water reaching the film is less of a concern than water reaching the electronic components, or getting in the lens.

you talking bout chris weeks?
yeah, water on film wont hapen
and if it does, youll se it on negs.
And a leica will stand a little rain easily.
so will your zorki and your yashika depending on how weel built they are
and i usuallly am cool with my eos-1 getting a lil wet. just wipe it down every few shots. they are supposed to be weather proofed

Luke said:
you talking bout chris weeks?
yeah, water on film wont hapen
and if it does, youll se it on negs.
And a leica will stand a little rain easily.
so will your zorki and your yashika depending on how weel built they are
and i usuallly am cool with my eos-1 getting a lil wet. just wipe it down every few shots. they are supposed to be weather proofed
No the article wasn't about chris weeks, although he's probably done that.
Probably just takes the MP swimming too :lol:
I've taken my eos-1 out in the rain and snow, doesn't seem to matter either

Most pro cameras are moister resistance. And have o-ring on the lenses and doors. Seem that they would be better in a light rain that an old unsealed camera.

darin3200 said:
Probably just takes the MP swimming too

You want a Nikonos for that. Older models go for under $50, even the most recent models go for under $300. Some lenses for underwater only, some for air only, some will do both. I have a Nikonos II with the standard 35mm lens (underwater and air). Sweet black metal styling; people often comment it looks like a James Bond camera. They're usually cheaper than 4 or 5 disposable, water proof cameras, and you get aperture and shutter control, and real lenses.

Most reactions

Back