Shooting Fashion

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I'd share a bit of my expertise in shooting fashion with you guys. I've posted a video on YouTube where you can see my workflow and hopefully learn a little about how best to direct when shooting with a model. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like the model is doing everything. Wich is real luck for the photographer since it is so hard to shoot someone who needs too much direction. But I guess that is why that person is a "professional" model.

Fully laughing out loud!!! Clearly I am missing something, because he is the one with 25 grand in gear. I like the other Agyness vid a little better. Slick set up. Not even sure what he is shooting with.

Love & Bass

I dunno what he's actually shooting with. My guess would be MF digital with the back tethered. I'm almost positive that the lights are Broncolor...the power pack gives them away.

I think he is shooting video in the one you posted. Nothing is firing. Certainly could be continuos light and a MF camera. Check out "Agyness Pulls Some Great Poses". He is shooting 8x10 film. The light bank he is using is out of this world. Not to mention all the cool grip equipment. Turns out that this guy is on point.

Love & Bass

Holy jesus that's insane. I dunno the heads looks like Profoto, but that power pack doesn't. Eh who cares. It's very expensive either way. And it's good to see people in the fashion industry still shooting film.

It has to be a tough deal not looking through the lens while shooting. I like how he has an assistant that hands the assistant the film holder. These days I think the work would be used for a billboard or huge DuraTrans.

Love And Bass

It has to be a tough deal not looking through the lens while shooting. I like how he has an assistant that hands the assistant the film holder. These days I think the work would be used for a billboard or huge DuraTrans.

Love And Bass

While this typically isn't the case for photographs of people, you'd be surprised how many billboards are shot using 35mm-sized DSLR's. Because the viewing distance is so far, you can really get away with just about anything. Shooting 8x10 does offer really superior resolution for something like this. If you've ever seen an 8x10 chrome, it really is a sight to behold. As for not looking at the ground glass before shooting, it's really not that big a deal when you consider the setup. He's probably shooting around f8, and she's stopping for the shots at about the same place every time. There's enough DOF that the focus isn't quite as critical as you might imagine.

It is more of standing next to the lens and not seeing what is actually put down on film. In this case I trust that things are flawless by the time the slide is pulled. None the less I would still be freaked out. I shot a lot of 8x10 film when I was in the home fashion industry. I shot bedrooms and bathrooms. Not like I had to worry about the random facial flaw or wrinkle when exposing.

Love & Bass

Yeah but with a field of view that wide and a limited range of motion for the model, there aren't many possibilities for composition...

Most reactions

Back