shooting in a public place

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi! And again a rather disscusive problem here. I was hooting at the park today morning, where was a really nice fair for kids. I noticed one small, 2-3 year old boy who was making bubbles from soap and water and the bubbles were all over, he was laughing and was extremely happy. What is more he was standing in a mid-shadow, uder the white huge umbrella so the light on his face was nice, while the bubbles where very colourful. I just kneeled and took a shot of him and I was really satisfied from the picture. And then rapidly a mum run on me, started shouting that I'm a papparazzi, that it is her private time, that she cannot move anywhere because we, photographers are alla round and so on and so forth... So I calmy explained her that I took this photo only for private purpose and that I found it an extremely interesting subject. What's more I tried to persuade her that if she give me her e-mail I may send the picture to her, because it was a perfect suvenir. The photo was really nice. And... she went crazy then! She started shouting even louder! I told her (still nicely) that I'm not going to publish this picture anywhere, but she didn't trust me. I even wanted to gave her my name card so if she notice the photo anywhere she may sue me. But NO! She went insane then. And asked a guard who was staning there for help. He took me a few meters from the woman and asked me silently if I may delete the photo to calm down the woman, because nobody knew what she was going to do next. I told him that there isn't any law in Poland saying that I cannot take a photo in a public place. I CAN take a photo, but I cannot publish it so easily (there are some rules). He nodded and went away. So I told the same to the woman... after a long time of shouting (I went angry too) I deleted the photo, and showed her that I deleted it. I know that I am fully allowed to take pics in public places such as a park is!

But come on guys! How do you behave in such situations?

***Sorry for so long post, I just had tow rite it here!!! grrrrr ****

I think its best to ask people if you can take a picture of them, especially if its a little kid. Had you waited around for the mum to return, I'm sure you could have got away with it.

But calling you the paparazzi? Weird...

Unfortunately that is the world we live in these days. Where people are suspicious of people photography, especially children. When I am shooting city scenes I only shoot people if it is a sweeping landscape or they happen to be in the photo at a distance. The previous poster is correct next time you should ask and explain why you are shooting the photo. I know that is a pain because a lot of photos espcially children are candid and you have to get a good shot fast and it might not happen if you wait or have to try to set up a shot.

I agree the woman over reacted but like I said that is just the way people think these days.

But come on guys! How do you behave in such situations?
I would have asked the mum first. But that's ebcause I'm paranoid of this happening.

If it had happened I would have tried to be calm and explain it all to her. If she'd have carried on I would have started shaking whilst I was holding in my rage and then I would have either walked off or really gone off on one. She was out of line. I can understand her, but some people don't want to listen to what others have to say because they think they're always right.
I wouldn't have deleted it, probably just out of spite.

I tried to explain that to her but she didn't want to listen or understand what I was going to say. ehh... I am afraid that if I look around for her and asked if I can take a photo it wouldn't be the same anymore. I am afraid that I'll have to start using looooong zoom to shoot people......

dude, you should have just kept the pic, Was she famous or some thing? that pic is your property and Its artistic manafistation of childhood inocence. I don't get why people get so wierded out. They either force you to take more ( gets kinda acword(sp?) after awhile) or they yell at you, been there too, I feel for you
But I use film HEheheheheh mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
couldn't delete it and I got an A on it in class! YAH!

Yah I think We can, but you know there was that guy who had to reliquish a roll of film because he was taking pics near an "undisclosed nuclear energy facility". I think?But yah we should be able to point shoot and keep-constitutionally speaking

well here of course are some areas like power stations or galleries or museums where we cannot take pics. but it was park, and in the park we can!

For anyone from the UK here, in case you didn't see it or anyone outside of the UK wanted to get a hold of it, there was an interesting article in Amateur Photographer (issue dated 11 June) about how police are really "cracking down" on photographs in public places, about how a lot of public parks now have "no photography" rules, and about what to do in situations where you might find yourself in trouble (including what to do if you're arrested!!).. If anyone is interested in this I can scan the article in.

From one side I can really see where they're coming from because obviously there are a lot of untrustworthy people out there.... on the other hand, it's a real shame that it has to be taken so far and that a lot of photographers no longer know when it is considered "appropriate" to take a picture when in public.

Why not just walk away? She can't keep you in one place and you don't have to argue. If she tries to grab your camera, then a nice punch should do the trick.

She's the one who'll be breaking the law if she's following you/trying to stop you.

Naominess said:
For anyone from the UK here, in case you didn't see it or anyone outside of the UK wanted to get a hold of it, there was an interesting article in Amateur Photographer (issue dated 11 June) about how police are really "cracking down" on photographs in public places, about how a lot of public parks now have "no photography" rules, and about what to do in situations where you might find yourself in trouble (including what to do if you're arrested!!).. If anyone is interested in this I can scan the article in.

I'd like a copy please. :)

why does she have papprazzi following her every where she goes?

is she somebody important or famous?

no she's not important nor famous. She called me papparazzi because I was shooting her kid. I was NOT following her or her son. I just glanced a nice scene and wanted to take a photo. And then she started to call me papparazi. I think that next time I'd simply walk away... without even noticing any compliments ...

What can I say?
My whole portfolio is based on candid pictures. Why? I like capturing certain moments in an open and spontaneous way.
I'm a breaking any law? Taken to the letter, sometimes YES! Do I care? NO!
If I feel I do not offend anyone then it's up to others to prove that I do and explain to me why.

So if the woman in particular couldn't explain why she didn't want to have that picture taken she wouldn't have driven me that far to hand over my film.

By law (in Belgium) I'm entitled to take pictures on ANY public place and of ANYONE present a that time as long it's not offending in any way. But I'm NOT allowed to publish any photo taken from a person without their permission. So in short: I can take the picture and no one (not even the police) can ask me to handover my film. But I'm not allowed to publish it on my website. Although I still do so, which can be a bit tricky.

It's a really blurred zone and it is linked to how a society reacts in general to this matter. In the US and UK paranoia is everywhere. In Belgium we have had a big pedofile horror case in the nineties so taking pictures of a kid still feels to me as braking some law but in fact I'm not. On other issues the Belgians do not really care if you take a picture or not. As long it doesn't interfere with their lives it's OK.

You always have to respect the general feelings of a society because they even outweight the juridical laws. If the general opinion says you didn't do anything wrong, there's a good chance nobody will bother you at all.
That's my rule #1 when taking pictures on holiday abroad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back