Shooting in Aquariums

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This weekend I may be going to the Ripley Aquarium in Toronto. What lens would be best suited? Also I am guessing I should use a polarized filter to eliminate glare?

Consider a soft, screw-in rubber lens shade as a handy tool. You can press it right up on the aquarium glass, to avoid a lot of stray light reflections off of the glass, which is often a big issue. The polarizing filter is less likely to be of a lot of use. if you have no screw-in rubber lens shades (they are admittedly, very "1980's-style" tools), take a dark hand towel and use it in the same way, to surround the sides of the lens, to keep stray light on the outer glass from messing up your shots.

Many newer aquariums seem to be better for photography than old-school ones. Do not be afraid to jack the ISO up!!!! it can be very dark.

Also, consider slower-speed panning, like 1/6 to 1/20 second, on some of the fish or mammals...might get some good shots!

If you can bring a tripod, that would help big time. Of course, a remote or corded trigger would be used in conjunction.

Thanks guys. Not sure if they allow the use of tripod during visiting hours but I will inquire before I go.

Being a Torontonian I know Ripleys new aquarium well, been there several time to a point that I kind of got tired of it.
There is some good chances of shooting there but the amount of crowd there especially on weekend is INSANE!!!
Buy the tickets online, it will save you 1/2 hr of waiting in line buying the tickets on location.
In the aquarium I recommend getting a prime lens like a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8
Lighting is pretty poor and you will need to bump up your ISO.
Tripod might work but in most cases the place is so packed that you will not have space to set it up.

Being a Torontonian I know Ripleys new aquarium well, been there several time to a point that I kind of got tired of it.
There is some good chances of shooting there but the amount of crowd there especially on weekend is INSANE!!!
Buy the tickets online, it will save you 1/2 hr of waiting in line buying the tickets on location.
In the aquarium I recommend getting a prime lens like a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8
Lighting is pretty poor and you will need to bump up your ISO.
Tripod might work but in most cases the place is so packed that you will not have space to set it up.

Thanks. I passed on it this weekend. I'm off work in a couple weeks and will go during te week.

Most reactions

Back