Shooting in Brazil project

alexlperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, Everybody!

Ok.. So I have a question.. well maybe a few. So here it goes. I want to travel Brazil for three months to put together a book. More of a informative piece about the country. I have a list of where I want to go and see... but its more of an outline. It will take me a longggg time to save up the funds to do it on my own. ($16,000). So how do I go about getting funding to do this. I can offer advertisement in the book and what not. I can see it going places due to the World Cup and Olympics coming up. I have tried Kick Starter.. They declined my application..Falls under the "Fund my Life" category? But its all good. Next step.. I went to the bank.. I just need to get my credit up 80 points and then ill be able to get a small loan... but I don't think it will be the amount I need.

So what do I do? Are there any non profits that can help? I would volunteer to help out anywhere in Brazil. Should I approach a angel investor with my idea? NGO?
Churches? Anybody want to help me figure out how I can make this come true?

-Thanks everybody!

Thanks Mully for the reply. But I stated above that I have tried Kick Starter. They declined my request..They said it falls under the "Fund my Life" category. Which I do not think that is a correct assessment of the project. Should I redo the Kick Starter Project? and submit it again?

Look over their requirements and make sure it is a good fit..... there are not many that fund photography Now if you were to teach a group of natives to take photographs then you might have more avenues ...good luck!

Thanks much! I will redo the project and make it as detailed as possible. Any other ideas? I am open to anything.

So, lets see. Sounds like you have never been there and decided you want to go. Instead of working and saving to pay for your vacation, you want it NOW. And while you're there, you'll take some pictures and put them in a book, like lots of other people have done with their trip snaps.

Did I summarize correctly?

The more I think about it. (and you would have to look into the liability and rules of the Peace Corp) If you joined and was sent someplace else you could do a book about that place and your work, then use the profits from that to help fund Brazil. In the process of doing so you are helping people all over the world. You could even self publish at first. Use places like eBook Publishing and Distribution - Kindle, iPad, Nook, and More! | BookBaby

Do you have mad photography and writing skills? Have you ever put together a book before? Have you ever tried marketing a book before? It's a ton more work than just snapping pictures and making a book. Depending on your resume you might have better luck finding a paper or periodical of some kind to at least partially pay to get you there and then pay as you send work in to them. then your "book work" could be done on the side.

It's going to be a really tough road to travel as there are already many travel books available on going to Brazil and lots of online blogs about it. This is really true for exactly the same reasons you listed above, the World Cup and Olympics. You are duplicating so much of what is already out there. It's going to be difficult to get funding for this, you will be better off finding a different route to get there on your own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back