Shooting in full sun using a reflector

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next week I am experimenting with a few families shooting on what may be midday on a sunndy day. If the sun is in full force, I plan to put the sun behind them as best I can and use a reflector. I am going to be in an open field so artificial lighting may be a challenge due to lack of electricity and I don't have a battery powered speedlight. Anyway, I have 50" sliver/white reflector. How big of a reflector do you think I need for a family of 4 sitting on the ground or standing close together?

48" x 72" is my standard, go-to size for outdoor shoots. A rectangular reflector of that size has a LOT of surface area...a 50-inch-diameter round reflector has less area, but might be able to do the job. Kind of depends I guess.

I think the 50-inch size would be o.k., as long as the family is in one group, and fairly close to each other.

If you haven't thought about it yet; who is going to hold/direct the reflector? I once asked my grandson to direct a reflector, and I was constantly ... CONSTANTLY... going over there and making small adjustments to the angle of the reflector. As is very typical of a young man with family all around, his attention wandered, and with it, the reflector.

Good luck!

I was just using a 42"? reflector with a three subjects -- first two subjects got the light just nicely, furthest person got nearly none of it.

I plan to put the sun behind them as best I can and use a reflector.
I wonder why you would do this. Why not use the sun as your key light?

Admittedly, midday sun is the most difficult, so you will learn a lot about that, but I don't know if using a reflector with midday sun is a good plan.

I think you should purchase a speedlight. You'll need one someday anyway, so maybe you can get one before that experiment, so you can experiment with a reflector and a speedlight. Find out which one you like better or can deal with better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back