Shooting in Manual.

+1, plus.

Shooting in manual mode also entails selecting the correct focus mode, metering mode, and white balance, again leading you back to your users manual to gain an understanding of the various options those settings offer, and when each of the settings should be used.

If you have to rely on someone showing you every step you need to take, rather than being able to learn from your users manual or other sources of technical information, your learning curve is going to be very, very flat.

Last edited:
Seriously still waiting for Ashton Kutcher. :greenpbl:

Put it on auto read up and then start by adjusting one of the three elements in the exposure triangle at a time. Rather than bumbling around in the dark.

I am not an expert, just someone learning with everyone else but things i have learned:

i would use aperature and shutter modes as practice so that you see the effect of the different modes individually... then i think you could move into manual gradually the one thing that i learned was pretty basic but it took a while for me to get my head around it is that a small number is MORE light into the camera. a lower shutter speed is MORE light into the camera. if you move both your aperature and shutter speed lower you photo will be over exposed. if you move them both up then they will be underexposed. i have the bryan peterson book coming in the mail in just a few days.. i got it from amazon..

as far as popular combinations it is hard to say because every lighting situation is different. but if your pics are just plain dark then it would be my guess is that your aperature is too stopped down (large number) and you shutter speed is way to fast.

I just got a new DSLR and I'm trying to learn manual. But everytime I shoot, my pictures are so dark! I was wondering if anyone could suggest some pairs of shutter speed and aperature for me to work with.

My room has generally low lighting so any tip would be wonderful!!

I'm so frustrated!!!

The one's that give you a decent exposure.

Based on your questions and comments I'd say you shouldn't be shooting in manual mode. Put your camera in full auto, walk around your environment, and take dozens of photos in different lighting conditions. Copy the pictures to your computer and study the EXIF data to see the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture that the camera selected for each image based on the lighting conditions. Then switch to either aperture or shutter priority mode and repeat. THEN move to manual mode. Manual is the most advanced mode to shoot in, and it appears that you're attempting to use it without even understanding the very basic elements of exposure.

Of course, you need to be reading some of the books that have been mentioned as well.

2nd this,
Shoot in Auto and then aperature priority , shutter priority and graduate to manual.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back