Shooting in rain

Ab$olut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anytips for this? and how much and droplets actually hurt your camera/lens?

As Ive got some great ideas for when its raining :D

I've been out in drizzles with the cameras (to take them out, take the photo, and either hide them underneath my anorak right away or store it somewhere dry elsewhere quickly enough) and it hasn't hurt them in the least. I am not so sure about downpours, though... would not venture into any with my camera in tow (while I must admit I would not step out into one if I can avoid it, anyway).

So I say: a couple of droplets don't hurt.
Some of them on the lens may give you halos that you could do without, but other than that ... only an ALL WET camera is something I'd not recommend.

I don't think a bit of rain water on the lens does any long term damage but it does ruin your pics whilst the drops are on there (talking from experience). Definetly use a lens hood if you can and even better - a friend with a golf umbrella :D

I shot a wedding last year and it was just sort of sprinkling occasionaly. I was shooting with my Bronica and a Metz 60CT-1 I cannot even remember if I got anything but a few drops on my flash but by the time I got to the reception the flash quit working on me. Luckily as sould always be the case with wedding photographers I had a backup Metz flash with me but the subsequent repair cost was approx. $160-$200. I cannot vouch for a digital camera body but in future weddings I will not under any circumstances shoot in the rain unprotected.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Rain-Cover-Rain-Coat-for-Canon-EOS-10s-10D-20D_W0QQitemZ7586515668QQcmdZViewItem

there are various things around the net from 20.0 to 200.00,

I keep a hefty bag all folded up to the size of a wallet inside the zipper pouch in the front of my bag, it acts as a extra cushion, also If it starts to rain I can throw it around my bag, and if I want to shoot I can cut it in half and use half for my bag and rubberband the other half around my camera and lens.... might look funny, but itll get the job done in an emergency.

of course rambo would do the same thing....

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1/60th shutter speed and you'll get some rain drop trail action

Nikon D40,D80,D90 in showers & drizzle up to 20mins. All needing a good toweling including myself. And kept clicking no problems.
Also have camera on Black Rapid strap and where Rain jacket over it. Then can pull out take a shot and then goes back under jacket.

Cheapest solution - Big extra large zip lock baggy. slice hole in bottom and stick lens hood thru and rubber band end. Then can open & close bag to insert hands and shoot. Using the press seal type can seal bag around camera strap.

$7-$10 is a dslr rain sleeve for your camera.

Good Catch Scraig as I didn't even catch that! :confused:

You do know this is a 6-year-old post, right?

bigthumb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends what camera you have. I was on a monster truck safari with my D300s and as we went through a river, my camera and I got very wet with silty water - my the camera was fine (it's meant to be weather-sealed, although I'm unsure how thorough the sealing is!), but I would have been worried if the same happened to my old D40.

EDIT: Only just realised this is a really old thread. Serves me right for not reading the whole thread before replying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back