Shooting in RAW.

Only 450
I get 725 on a 4gb CF i wonder why that is

at how maany MP are you shooting? I also get about 450 on my 8 gb SD card at 12.2 MP. if I lowered that I would be able to shoot more.

If i'm only taking pictures because i wan't to take a good picture (not holiday pics etc), i only shoot in RAW. But if i was on vacation and about to take a lot of pics i'd probably mainly shoot jpeg. But everytime i use jpeg (not often) i always swich back to raw if i find the shooting conditions hard or i'm just otherwise afraid of screwing up the image. RAW gives me so much more flexibility to fix those screw ups afterwards :).

RAW is the only way to shoot. It is all I shoot in.

Binary stuff like this really frustrates me, particularly on this beginners forum.

There is rarely only one way to do something. There is rarely a case where a particular tool available to someone is worthless and should be dismissed summarily. There is rarely a case where another tool is the be-all end-all for all situations.

For example, here are some reasons I might shoot in JPEG:

- I have very very good lighting conditions and a fairly consistent kind of subject matter that the camera tends to expose perfectly.
- I need a significant number of shots and don't really need them to be absolutely perfect.
- I am shooting for inventory or record purposes.
- I barely even know how to use my camera, let alone how to move all those damned sliders in the raw converter. (this is no longer the case for me, but it once was)

These are all perfectly good reasons to go JPEG.

The simple fact is that RAW is the better choice if you know what you're doing, but you don't have to rushto use it right away, and you certainly shouldn't feel like you're somehow sub-par if you're not using it.

For the record, I almost always shoot RAW. I have, however, been doing this a while and I HAVE been burned by JPEG more than a few times.

Right now I shoot JPEG, because I don't have the software to PP Raw files. I only have Photoshop 7.

Are you talking about Elements? Because that takes RAW.

I always shoot RAW and carry an 8 Gig card.

The number of pictures I actually save makes it worth while.

When I'm shooting inside my comfort zone, I use RAW only. When I'm shooting outside my comfort zone (mainly landscapes, right now), I shoot RAW+JPEG because sometimes the internal processor for the camera gives me some perspective and take on the image I'd not considered, esp when applying its image style settings.

I always shoot in RAW now after shooting one time downtown and actually seeing the difference.

I keep body bodies in RAW unless I'm shooting something I don't need to do alot of post processing. If I have a family function, I'll shoot all day long in JPEG, then switch to RAW for the more formal, family shots. I know I would need to do some more editing on those.

Otherwise, the D80 and 300 stay in RAW. I never know if I'm going to have the white balance off, underexposed, overexposed. As well as shooting in manual all the time and in RAW, I sometimes leave my shutter speed on a slow speed and I have been able to recover a 1/60 sec shot when it needed to be a 1/200 sec shot, bringing those highlights down.

~Michael~

I started off shooting RAW+JPEG ... in case I found some use for RAW. I recommend starting with this until you are comfortable processing RAW to JPEG.

Today, I only shoot in RAW.

I'm not big on lots of PP aside from slight level and saturation adjusting, so JPG works for me most of the time. I'll shoot in RAW if I'm interested in trying tonemapping or am in a situation where I'm trying to get the "perfect" shot (such as a blue hour shot of a city skyline I don't visit often, etc.)

Most reactions

Back