Shooting in the rain

You could, yes. SLR's don't have that kind of sealing though, in general. You use a plastic bags that won't break under pressure and a piece of glass in front of the lens. You *could* use that kind of set-up, but honestly, who's going to carry that extra baggage just in case?

Sure, an underwater camera is just a normal camera inside a waterproof housing. You would do nothing different. I have a waterproof housing for my Canon Powrshot that I've used at depth (90 ft underwater) and during a tropical rain storm. It works beautifully either way.

ive done it many times, however i dont go grab my camera and run outside if its raining. if your smart and keep a rain cover in your camera bag i dont see why you should shy away from a little rain.

This is one reason why pro level cameras cost so much...because they are built to be able to handle a pretty good rainfall and keep working.

If you don't have a pro body, some care should be taken but life is too short to hide everytime it rains a little.

Example one: I was in Costa Rica and went on a zip-line tour of the rain forest canopy. It wasn't raining when we started out, but when we got up there, it was a torrential downpour. I didn't have a camera bag (wasn't allowed with the harness) and I couldn't protect the camera while zipping from tree to tree. I did have a plastic shower cap that I snagged from the hotel, but my camera still got soaked. It was so wet that the LCD screen fogged up from the inside. Maybe I was lucky but the camera never stopped working and still works great, almost 4 years later. It wasn't a pro body, just a mid level 20D.

Example 2: A few weeks ago I co-shot a two day wedding that was on a farm. It rained the entire time were were there. They moved all the activities into a tent/building but that wasn't good enough for the shots that we wanted to get. Eventually we told them to suck it up, we are shooting outside...rain or not. We all got a little wet, but I think we got some outstanding shots.

:D well yyyeeeahhhh only cause its a nikon....maybe he has a canon! :lmao:

Er, the camera he was talking about was a Canon. Oh please, not more Canon vs. Nikon.

sorry didn't read the whole post i take that back hehe...now i have to think of something else to say to dis canon lol.

- maybe it did break you just couldn't tell because the quality of a canon is so horrible!

j/k

This is one reason why pro level cameras cost so much...because they are built to be able to handle a pretty good rainfall and keep working.

If you don't have a pro body, some care should be taken but life is too short to hide everytime it rains a little.

Example one: I was in Costa Rica and went on a zip-line tour of the rain forest canopy. It wasn't raining when we started out, but when we got up there, it was a torrential downpour. I didn't have a camera bag (wasn't allowed with the harness) and I couldn't protect the camera while zipping from tree to tree. I did have a plastic shower cap that I snagged from the hotel, but my camera still got soaked. It was so wet that the LCD screen fogged up from the inside. Maybe I was lucky but the camera never stopped working and still works great, almost 4 years later. It wasn't a pro body, just a mid level 20D.

Example 2: A few weeks ago I co-shot a two day wedding that was on a farm. It rained the entire time were were there. They moved all the activities into a tent/building but that wasn't good enough for the shots that we wanted to get. Eventually we told them to suck it up, we are shooting outside...rain or not. We all got a little wet, but I think we got some outstanding shots.

:D well yyyeeeahhhh only cause its a nikon....maybe he has a canon! :lmao:

rofl, that made me laugh.

Everytime i subject my camera to abuse and then sound amazed at the fact its not broken, my lecturer that says "yea it's a nikon"

I've only shot in heavy rain once, and I was using a tripod since it was night. It was rain/sleet/blahhh out, really heavy, and I was at the Marina. I slung my hoodie over my head and the camera, kind of looked like I was shooting with large format and had a dark sheet over me hahah. Eventually I gave up on even covering myself and just worried about my camera being sheltered. Got some amazing shots, and the only thing that got a little wet was my lens shade !

My sister got quite a kick watching me for an hour in the nice, warm car.:lmao:

The best lightning shots I've ever gotten were at midnight in a torrential downpour. I took a trash bag and wrapped it as tight as I could around my 18-55 kit lens and covered the rest of the camera. The lens acted a little wonkey when I was done but after a couple days drying time it was fine.

On the Friday (31 July) when the group with whom I had travelled to Northern-Ireland visited Giant's Causeway, we had horizontal rain. And I did not take even ONE photo of that World Nature Site, not one. I could not make myself get the camera out of the rucksack in that weather. Had I brought the Powershot, I might have taken that out of the anorak pocket and slipped it back for the odd photo, but not the "big" camera (which is not big at all, just the 350D, or Rebel XT, but, like someone before me has also said: I am poor and it is VERY unlikely I get a replacement camera should that one break for whichever reason!). I said to myself: "You were visiting Giant's Causeway five years ago in wonderful weather, clear blue skies, super views, and took photos, so it isn't such a big deal if you can't take photos of it in horizontal rain." And I left it. Better be safe than sorry.

Most reactions

Back