shooting in the snow

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey. I have a question about shooting in the snow. I am going out west on a snowboard trip in a few days and i want to take my camera and get some sick shots. I was worrying about overexposure or underexposure due to the bright snow. Does any one have any tips for getting the best shot.
Thanks

The one thing I notice is to watch where the sun is in your shots. if you got a low shot with a smooth or untouched area of snow the sun light will bounce or highlight that area more then the other areas in your photos. I usually prefer to shoot when it is cloudly but I have to watch the white balance when I do that.

Your camera meters for middle gray. In scenes with a lot of white snow your meter will give a recommendation that will turn the snow middle gray. Over expose a stop or two to get the snow on the light side of middle gray.

i shot a few yestereday in the snow with my sunpack flash and used fuji 100 from walmart, came out great, make sure you set the flash ,it's makes all the diffenrence.

The good stuff here has already been mentioned. Watch the white balance and the sun.

With my camera I usually set the snow as white since it is digital to ensure it does not come out grey.

Most reactions

Back