Shooting into the sun...mostly?

badspell68

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Nikon D5000 with 18-55 VR kit

I'm shooting the front of a house with bright sunlight streaming through the windows, around the edges and through one window you can see the sun. The house in my pictures is VERY dark and the light dominates the picture. I have tried everything my limited skill can conjure up, so I'm hoping someone will have insight into how I can create a beautiful picture from this setting?

Thanks!

Last edited:
There is a technique called HDR. High Dynamic Range.

High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The image sensor in your camera doesn't work like your eye and the image sensor doesn't have the dynamic range the human eye has either.

HDR entails using a tripod and taking a minimum of 3 exposures to capture at a correct exposure of the entire breadth of the particular scenes dynamic range.

Another option is to light the interior of the room to make it about as bright as the window.

I don't think Canon makes a D5000, but Nikon does. Canon does make a 500D.

its a nikon d5000 (Nikon uses VR, canon uses IS)

oh sorry, HDR works great for that!

is their an autobracketing setting? That works great.

KmH is very right with the HDR! :D

YOu could also very easily set the metering mode to spot metering. On a D70 you hold down the cross hair looking button (On the top just below the shutter release button) and spin the wheel until the picture on the top screen is just a dot.

I don't seem to have that button.
Yep, your camera has that button and it's right by the shutter release (trigger), but you don't have the screen on top, you have to look at the Quick Settings display on the back LCD.

You need to read the camera users manual. The camera has capabilities and functions you don't yet know exist, let alone how they work.

I don't seem to have that button.

Google HDR technique and read your manual to learn how to bracket exposures. Keep your manual handy. I always keep mine in my bag for those times that I want to try some trick that I maybe use once a year and forget how to access it. Its a very overlooked tool by noobs on here. If you ever lose it or destroy it, you can easily download the PDF from Nikons site.

+1. My users manuals are in my bag so I can look up stuff I don't use often enough to remember well right of the top of my head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back