Shooting Jr. College Football... how?

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in shooting my local community colleges football game next saturday. I was wondering what the best way would be to get permission to go on the sidelines? I found the Athletic Departments email (see the bottom) I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? If I dont get a reply should I call the school and ask for the athletic department? I also found the number for the head football coach but I wasn't sure if he was who I would want to talk to.

Do you think if I just showed up at the game with a "big white lens", belt with lens cases, and a vest no one would question me and just let me on the field? Thanks a lot

"Hi I am a senior at Grant High School. My ambitions are to become a sports photographer, I have already been accepted to Brooks Institute of Photography for after I graduate. I was wondering if it would be possible to shoot from the sidelines at your game next game Saturday the 29th against the Citrus Owls. I would be more then happy to supply the athletic department a disc with all the pictures I take for you to use as you please. It would be a great experience for me and I would very much appreciate the opportunity. I have included at the bottom links to a few pictures I have taken at the Grant games.

Thank you,
Josh Smith
(818) ***-****

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k...7 football/20070907_9999_161.jpg?t=1190587434

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k...7 football/20070907_9999_159.jpg?t=1190587429

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k...07 football/20070907_9999_11.jpg?t=1190587444

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/deepspring/2007_09_07%20football/20070907_9999_107.jpg?t=1190587426"

I think the letter is great. If you show up with your "big white lens" I would expect to go home with a "little empty memory card". I think the best approach is the one you have described but you need to pick the smallest, worst, least popular game you can find because if they are going to give you a field pass it is not going to be in a day when a huge team is in town and all kinds of in and out of town media are going to want to get credentialed. I do think yo are taking the right approach though because even if it would be possible to just show up with your "big white lens" the professional approach is always the best way to go unless of course that is a bridge you want to burn. Another thing, if you do get in and I knw this is a no-brainer for most be on your best behavior, act as professionally as you know how, dress professionally and, don't get in the way of the "pros" that are there making a living. The last thing you want to do is leave them thinking that that is the last time they would do that for someone like you because there may be someone behind you that wants to do the same. I remember when I had a field pass for a Steeler game for a paper that I worked for the big legend around the place was the story of the guys that got the field passes from the school I went to and this was a program they did every season but when these 2 guys went there they took all the food that was provided and just made general asses of themselves and after that the program was cancelled.

Yeah agree with JIP %100. Be sure to present yourself at all times professionally. Be sure to have a couple diffrent lenses to beable to switch for closer and longer ranges. Also be sure to get some pictures of the crowd going wild at times, the cheerleaders, and the coaches. When you get home and you didnt have to many great field pictures, having the expressions and emotions of others at the event will usually work.

I'm definitely trying to get in touch one way or another with someone one way or another, just show up was a last resort if all my other attempts failed. For something like that what would you consider professional attire? I was thinking nice jeans, a plain black t-shirt, vest, and probably a jacket depending on weather. I plan on being as professional as possible because who knows, I might end up seeing the head photographer for L.A. Times...someone you would want to be on the good side of lol.

Oh and I forgot to mention My high school, Grant, is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the college. They are separated by a tiny little alley way and many graduates from my school go there so the coach might be more sympathetic to me beign a Grant student.. I hope...

Thank you!

Personally if you are trying to impress people I would not wear jeans. You don't need to wear fancy dress pants but just a decent pair of comfortable pants that look good and mabye a Polo shirt and, if you really need to, wear your photo-vest. Remember no matter what the other guys on the field look like you want to impress people that you are professional and take this seriously.

Ok that sounds good. I'll lay off the vest and stick to just my belt... I've seen a lot of people don't like the vest (not saying you, just in general) so they might laugh first then say hi. I have a good polo and some pants. They have astro turf so I don't have to worry about getting dirty :)

Just wanted to say with this post I'm making now... The two of us will have the same amount of posts:lol: --- edit: you have since made one more post..

I'm a hobbyist, just having fun, but I will be shooting a collage football game this Saturday night. Along with the rest of the games. Also the basket ball games, volleyball game, soccer, track and field and anything else I show up to. The way I got there was simple but took a bit of time.

I started out shooting the Cross Country team. Not a high profile sport unless you are at Arkansas. The school photographer shows up once for about 30 minutes and that is it. The coach and the team loves what I shoot. I have a site just for their photos that only the athletes, their families the coaches and the athletic staff can view.

The coach showed my cross country photos to the A.D. he liked them and I now have a full time side line pass to any and all sporting events at the collage. One kicker may be that the collage has permission to use my photos. Like I said, I'm just a hobbyist, but I do get credit when they are used and that is good enough for me because I am having a great time just enjoying my favorite hobby.

I would wear a plain, nice dressy polo, and cacky colored shorts or pants. Doesnt have to be to dressy, but you dont want to look like an average joe off the street. and remember, 1st impressions are the ones that last.

See if the head coach at your HS will speak to the Coach at the CC about it. I can't imagine that they don't know each other fairly well (they may not like each other but I'll bet that they know each other).

So I got an email this afternoon back and he said it would be fine. Just come to the gate with my Grant press pass and ask for him :)

So apparently the school has a photographer who shoots all the football games (and other games too) so the athletic director I had talked to told him about me and to keep an eye on me. It was suuuuuuch a great night. This guy was really nice. I shot with him the entire game and he was giving me all these tips. He shoots a lot of big games to like USC UCLA stuff so it was really awesome. Definitely a great experience. We exchanged cards and will keep in touch.

So where's the pictures????
and don't cop out and say they are on your flickr you need to post some. We give you help and now (at least I do) we want to see the results.

Most reactions

Back