Shooting Kids in public places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel weird about it. I'm concern the nature of the parents. What feel bad about what? What do you think I'm endangered myself? I'm not a sexual predator. I suggest you don't response my thread, ever!

Calm down man.

Plain and simple. People have been warned so much on t.v. and other avenues that sexual predators are afoot. Which is a good thing for the most part. So if a parent sees a STRANGER taking photos of their child, especially if the photographer is a male, they will naturally be worried.

Just giving my opinion here, I wouldn't do it unless it wasn't normal circumstances. Like if a child was on a pitchers mound, throwing the first pitch at an MLB game. I wouldn't hesitate taking a shot. But just a random kid at the park? No way. As a parent, that would cause way too many alarms going off in my mind.

I don't feel weird about it. I'm concern the nature of the parents. What feel bad about what? What do you think I'm endangered myself? I'm not a sexual predator. I suggest you don't response my thread, ever!

Calm down man.

Plain and simple. People have been warned so much on t.v. and other avenues that sexual predators are afoot. Which is a good thing for the most part. So if a parent sees a STRANGER taking photos of their child, especially if the photographer is a male, they will naturally be worried.

Just giving my opinion here, I wouldn't do it unless it wasn't normal circumstances. Like if a child was on a pitchers mound, throwing the first pitch at an MLB game. I wouldn't hesitate taking a shot. But just a random kid at the park? No way. As a parent, that would cause way too many alarms going off in my mind.

Well, I don't know what is his problem. Is it because the jpeg vs raw thing? Then, he should go to other thread and argue, not here. Beside, he is not helping.

As Tiller pointed out.. he was just joining the conversation from the perspective of a parent. I don't think he has a problem, he was just offering his views on the subject.

I'm a cop.. If I see someone standing around taking pictures of kids and it looks to me like the individual isn't associated with them, I'd check it out.

That's not to say a photographer is doing anything wrong, or has bad intentions.. it's just prudent to ask a few questions under those conditions.

As Tiller pointed out.. he was just joining the conversation from the perspective of a parent. I don't think he has a problem, he was just offering his views on the subject.

I'm a cop.. If I see someone standing around taking pictures of kids and it looks to me like the individual isn't associated with them, I'd check it out.

That's not to say a photographer is doing anything wrong, or has bad intentions.. it's just prudent to ask a few questions under those conditions.

I not talking about Tiller. I'm talking about the other guy, Kolia.

Calm down man.

Well, I don't know what is his problem. Is it because the jpeg vs raw thing? Then, he should go to other thread and argue, not here. Beside, he is not helping.

he has no problem, he was telling you as a parent how he would feel if you were just ranomly taking photos of his kid, that is the type of responce you will get from a lot of parents if you just start taking photos of there kid, you asked a question how would the parents feel. he answered it and you took offence to it. he helped you a lot actually.

Yes, I know.. that's who I was referring to. Tiller was pointing out that Kolia was just offering the perspective of a parent. I don't believe the intention was to insult or accuse you of anything.

EDIT: I'm assuming of course that Kolia is male .. if not, I apologize. Charlie made me say it....

Last edited:
Take the photo, show the parent and say, "Hey, here's my card - I'd love to send you this photo I took so get in touch if you'd like me to."

If they want you to delete it, probably respectful to do so, but a lot of times they're just happy to have photos of their kids :)

On a serious note, you could just ask and offer a few shots to the parents to show some appreciation.

There often seems to be this barrier that prevents photographers from simply seeking permission and being courteous .. whether it's people or property.

^This! If I am at the park with my Girlfriends grandkids... sometimes I see some other kids I would like to shoot. I ask the parents... and hand them a card. I offer some web images, and get an email address from them if they want. Problem solved! If they say no, then I am careful to exclude those kids from any shots... even if it means missing some shots of the grandkids.

Take the photo, show the parent and say, "Hey, here's my card - I'd love to send you this photo I took so get in touch if you'd like me to."

If they want you to delete it, probably respectful to do so, but a lot of times they're just happy to have photos of their kids :)

At least from my perspective as both a photographer and parent ;)

I would like to ask a few generalized questions...just to play devils advocate for a moment, :fangs: and because i am genuinely curious.
ALL legalities aside, why take random pictures of strangers and their kids? is it just in the name of "street photography"? Because you legally can?
are they doing something so particularly interesting that it just HAS to be documented for posterity? You don't actually know ANY people with kids you can practice photography on? At what point does taking pictures of someone in a public area start to become a little weird?
taking pictures of strangers? pics of strangers kids? pics of strangers kids at the beach? kids at the beach in a bikini?
I wonder how different the lines are for people, especially concerning children. could you justify photographing someones kids at the park but not at the beach or pool?
does HOW the kids are dressed affect the decision? does intent matter at all? (since the parents cannot determine intent if you do not make contact)
personally speaking, I dislike photographing anyone (as the main subject) without their expressed consent. Although i don't really do street photography, people in front of a building is a little different to me, and i recognize that there are times when NOT getting people in the frame is impossible.

I can not help but feel that there is SOME semblance of exploitation going on when you take pictures of people without their permission and use those pictures on your portfolio to promote your own business.

I can not help but feel that there is SOME semblance of exploitation going on when you take pictures of people without their permission and use those pictures on your portfolio to promote your own business.

^^^ One of the reasons I don't like a lot of street photography! I always ask permission to shoot, if I see someone I want to shoot. Does that kill spontaneity? Maybe... but I feel better about it.

Ah hell... just be inconspicuous ... shoot the photos from the curb with a giant lens from inside a white van with mostly tinted windows.

Sorry you took my comment the wrong way initially.

Like others said, I was giving you a parents perspective. And the usage of "You" and "Me" was just to facilitate the writing of the post.

I didn't mean to imply anything bad on the part of the person taking the picture.

I take my camera to the park too. But my kids are in there playing. And one day I will have a business card type thing to give to other parents.

Is there a fight I'm missing on a RAW vs JPEG topic ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back