Shooting kids in public

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I have several ideas of themes that I'd like to photograph. Specifically, I have some ideas of shots involving kids like peewee football, older kids playing instruments (several local school bands practicing), kids playing at the park, things like that. I think kids are just much more interesting to shoot candidly. My problem is that unfortunately in this day and age, it's hard to not look like a pervert when you have a camera and kids are involved. I suppose it would be easier if you were actually with a child, however, mine is only 10 months and isn't ready to play at the park yet :( So my question is how do you all take candid pics of kids w/o looking like Chester the Molester or having parents call the police on you?

Pee Wee football, or Band practice at school.....my suggestion to you would be to go to the coach or band director and ask if it's ok. Explain what you are wantin to do, and get permission. That way you won't be seen as a pervert.
At the park or whatever tho???? I have no idea......I don't know how well a parent would take it if someone walked up and asked if they could take pictures of their kid. That's a tough one.

I agree, seek permission first :) You can have some business cards printed with your website address so parents can check out your work. As your daughter gets older it will be easier as well since she'll be playing with her friends, etc. Does your daughter go to any playgroups? Daycare? Church? Those are good places to see if you can photography with permission. Most parents would love to get some nice pics of their kiddos done, so you can take a few, put them up on your website, charge for prints and everyone comes away happy :D

I know what you mean. It's a sick world, and in some cases I think this whole Stranger-Danger campaign from the 80's or whenever did more harm than good. Sure there are cases in which kids are abducted and/or molested by total strangers, however, they are much much more likely to be victims of sexual assault by family members, family friends, neighbors, etc. People who are much closer to them that they are not perceived as suspects.

As previously stated it is a sad state of affairs, especially when you look at the statistics. Sexual crimes against kids and peodophilia (Spelling?) are actually no more common today than they were 30 years ago, its just that because of improved media coverage you hear about them more often.

Also another suggestion.....if you wanted to shoot indoor sports, go to the local highschool or jr high....ask the principal. Then you might even hafta get permission from parents....like previously stated, the way people are these days. But it's an option. But.....when it comes "game time" go to their games.....Lots of people at games take photo's. No one says a word. Volleyball and Football should be startin up soon as school gets goin. Ya might offer some of the photo's to the school for their year book or somethin like that. Put em on a disk, and they can use them if they'd like. I know our small school has a lack of photo's for year books when it comes to sports.

Going to games and taking pictures shouldn't be a problem at all. Anyone is allowed to do that. The park, I don't know. People don't have a problem with me taking pictures of kids at the park, but I'm not nearly as old as you. This poses a great problem. Sorry I can't be much help.

Some older man was atacked a few days ago on public beach when he was taking pictures of children.
Be carefully when you take picture. Honestly its not nice for parent to see that someone is taking picture of hiss child, especcialy in these days when there is milions of pedofils and kidnaping.

Maybe it would be best for you to ask parent if you can take some shoots of child and give him his visit card that you are profesional fotograf.

Believe it or not, it's about to turn into a sorrier state of affairs (at least here in Victoria, Aus). There has been talk in the news about banning people from taking photographs of things such as school plays, kids sports days and the like.

While it isnt and wont be made illegal by law, sports clubs and schools etc might (if it catches on) be able to ask people to leave if they bring a camera in and start taking photographs.

As you can imagine, it has caused absolute outrage from people everywhere. Parents, uncles/aunts and other family members have the attitude of "I'll be damned if I can't record the proud moments of my kids growing up!!!"

I agree with others here, ask permission first. Be transparent and they will be assured that you are doing the right thing.

especcialy in these days when there is milions of pedofils and kidnaping.
That's just media hype. Crime Rate statistics have been going steadily down for the last 15-20 years consistently (2005 had a small jump, but we don't have any more recent statistics to see if it was a bump or a reversal yet). The press over-hypes this stuff in a syndrome closely related to missing-white-woman syndrome. The problem in reality is miniscule compared to the problem in people's minds.

I also agree that whenever possible getting permission in advance is the easiest way to avoid complications.

Also you might offer to send the parent copies of all the pictures of their kid for them to enjoy. Technically if it is a public space they cannot stop you from taking pictures (although they can yell at you =p) but asking is always nice. The problem I see with asking the coach vs the parents themselves is most often they will say no just so they don't have to deal with the parents when they see you taking pics.

Most reactions

Back