Shooting Little League and Pop Warner

scottdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just spoke with someone from our local Pop Warner Association to ask about coming down to take pictures of the kids in action. I didn't want to step on any toes if they have already granted permission or contracted someone to do this already. I also wanted to have permission in case any parents had concerns. I could either tell them I have permission or they could find out from the coach or another official.

I told her that my plan was to come down and take some pictures and test out a new lens that I bought. I said if I like what I have taken I would like to post the pictures on a web site and allow parents to either buy them online or contact me to place an order. She was only able to refer me to the president but did tell me that she thought I would have a hard time with that sort of thing because they had sent out releases for pictures and did not receive many back.

I have read about people doing this sort of thing before. But I did not think I needed a release for this. Is this true? Do I need a release for these pictures. If so, how do I go about doing this for so many kids who I don't know and for whose parents I do not know?

Thanks for your thoughts.

You will need releases unless you are contracted to do the work before hand. And then you can only shoot the person/s you are there to shoot.

The thing is that you would be offering for sale shots of people whom you do not have releases for and that is illegal.

Sorry

mike

Why would you need a release to sale to the people in the photos? The association likely would need a release to post the photos on their website and you would if you where going to try and sell them to others.

You wouldn't need releases to sell to the families represented in the photos. But when you offer photos for sale to the general public (you can't know who really is whom) you prove intent and there you go.

You also run the risk of some over-protective parent bashing you over the head with your nice shiny -expensive- camera. Since they don't know you nor have they given permission for you to be taking photos of lil' junior this is a real concern.

While I was waiting for responses I had contacted the president of the local pop warner. She got back to me today and said that she is sorry but I can not come down and take pictures (led me to believe that my possible plan to make money off of it was irrelevant). She said that all parents who coach or volunteer are subject to an FBI background check. She invited me to come to a meeting in the offseason and they can do a check then.

It was not worth arguing over but I don't see how they have any right to prevent me from coming and just testing out my new lens and working on my action photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back