Shooting my first engagement session- on the beach!

PhotoJunkieJen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, one of my best friends just got engaged. I'm doing a freebie engagement session (my first) to get some practice under my belt. They're my guinea pigs, persay. And since they're not paying me anything, if the shots stink, we haven't really lost anything but a couple of hours. :lmao:

Anyway, I can't say I'm an advanced shooter (I have a Flickr account by the same screen name)... and this is definitely my first engagement session.
We'll be doing it on the beach, a very white beach (lots of reflection going on!)...

I'm open to any tips you can give me. Technical, posing, any of it!

I know the best way to learn is to just run with it and see what happens. But anything you can give me beforehand to make the shoot as smooth as possible would be much appreciated. :) I'd like to give them something they can be proud of. :)
In the meantime, I'm spending lots of time on Flickr getting ideas.

My gear is a Rebel Xti with a kit lens, I do own a nice fish... and a speedlite 430 (though I'm thinking it might be a bit too bright to bust this one out). I really should figure out how to put my gear in my siggy at some point so I don't have to keep repeating myself :lmao:

So, one of my best friends just got engaged. I'm doing a freebie engagement session (my first) to get some practice under my belt. They're my guinea pigs, persay. And since they're not paying me anything, if the shots stink, we haven't really lost anything but a couple of hours. :lmao:

Anyway, I can't say I'm an advanced shooter (I have a Flickr account by the same screen name)... and this is definitely my first engagement session.
We'll be doing it on the beach, a very white beach (lots of reflection going on!)...

I'm open to any tips you can give me. Technical, posing, any of it!

I know the best way to learn is to just run with it and see what happens. But anything you can give me beforehand to make the shoot as smooth as possible would be much appreciated. :) I'd like to give them something they can be proud of. :)
In the meantime, I'm spending lots of time on Flickr getting ideas.
Portrait Photography Tips

10 Beach Photography Tips

Wedding Photography Tutorials For Wedding Photographers

Digital Photography Composition Tips
My gear is a Rebel Xti with a kit lens, I do own a nice fish... and a speedlite 430 (though I'm thinking it might be a bit too bright to bust this one out). I really should figure out how to put my gear in my siggy at some point so I don't have to keep repeating myself :lmao:
Take your 430EX with you, you'll need it for fill flash.

Flash Photography Techniques

Using Fill Flash

Shoot both flashes off camera. Underexpose the ambient by about two stops while exposing the subjects correctly with the flashes. You'll get a really big dramatic effect with the darker background and properly lit people.

Shoot both flashes off camera. Underexpose the ambient by about two stops while exposing the subjects correctly with the flashes. You'll get a really big dramatic effect with the darker background and properly lit people.

So meter for the sky, manuelly crank it down to underexpose it... and then fill in flash? Orrrr?

You should probably bring the fish. Put the 430 on the right as your key, and some nice fill in fish, maybe 2 stops under. There;s alot of people doing beach photography, but sometimes you see one and you like, man, that's some nice fish. :lmao:

Do you have a reflector they can work wonders on the beach or a sheet of polystyrene board will work, paint one side black it can be used to add shadow and white side for a bit of fill

So meter for the sky, manuelly crank it down to underexpose it... and then fill in flash? Orrrr?

Correct. Kind of.

If the camera is on manual mode, it should work even with the flash in TTL mode. But it's best if both are shot manual and you use the flash off camera with something like an umbrella or a sheet to diffuse the flash.

Most reactions

Back